Pottery Pigments & Polyester Resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveAxelrod

SteveAxelrod

I was curious about using pottery glaze pigments to color polyester resin, so I decided to experiment and cast another shaving brush handle using three pigments: iron oxide (reddish orange), titanium (yellow) and mazerine (blue). I also threw in some sweet gum pods. Rather than use a metal collar I decided to turn one from Padaulk since it appeared to match the reds in the resin. I also added a bit of Pearlex which matched the pigment in each cup. I think the experiment was a success. What do you think?

Attachments

• Pigment Cast Shaving Brush v3(F+).jpg
    Pigment Cast Shaving Brush v3(F+).jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 214
  • Pigment Cast Shaving Brush v4(F+).jpg
    Pigment Cast Shaving Brush v4(F+).jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Pigment Cast Shaving Brush v8(F+).jpg
    Pigment Cast Shaving Brush v8(F+).jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 223
  • Pigment Cast Shaving Brush v5(F+).jpg
    Pigment Cast Shaving Brush v5(F+).jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 240
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Terredax

Banned
Most pigments start with earth, ocher, mineral, and oxide pigments.
Then lakes are added for brightness and micas and synthetics to achieve the shimmer.
Synthetics are made using many techniques depending on the desired effects. Heat and fuming or vapor is used often in the process.

Looking at the ingredients in make-up will reveal everything that is incorporated to achieve a certain color. Of course with make-up, some of the ingredients are for adhesion (binders), application, wear ability, etc. The colorants are the ingredients that are of concern for the final color and effect.

We rarely used the natural pigments. You might be surprised to know that there are ingredients such as cyanide in some colors. A lot of colors contain toxins and we always reviewed the MSDS before handling, and always used appropriate safety precautions.

Also, if using metal powders, they have certain hazards as well. When we used aluminum, it was pure aluminum, and could combust easily according to the warnings. We never had that situation, but did hear of it happening. I believe that aluminum is mixed with inert material, i.e. titanium dioxide, now to prevent the combustibility.

Bob in SF

Beautiful!

Opens up a lot of possibilities.

Probably best to use food-safe ceramic glazes - and there are many.

- Bob

Top Bottom