Polymer Clay Figures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bruce markwardt

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

I've been making these polymer clay figures for a few years. I sell a few locally and give others away as presents. These were the inspiration for the polymer clay caricature pen I entered in the Summer Extravaganza Slimline contest. These figures are 6-8" tall. Made from Super Sculpey, baked, then painted. I typically make around 30 of these a year.

The biggest challenge of trying to do a pen like this was making the figure "pen sized." It was really hard to get any detail in the pen figure. Something else to work to improve! For reference I've included a pen photo.

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

I don't know Bruce, I zoomed in on your creations and was surprized at the amount of detail that you were able to put on them !! It takes a realy talented and skilled artist to do charismatic caricatures !!! I like !!! Jim S

Thank you all!

The best part is I really enjoy making them. I started doing these about 10 years ago, primarily as gifts. Did 10 -15/year. Last year I made a few more and sold a few locally. I've done Santas, golfers, historical figures, baseball players. Lots of fun!

SDB777

Having no idea why you bake, then paint...I'll ask.

Doesn't the color in the clay stay after baking? Or is it to make the color really pop?

I could see the fella on the top photo holding a pen, as in a desk set.....

Scott (they look British....a little) B

I use Super Sculpey, which comes only in a flesh toned color. (There is also a firm version in grey.) I prefer the consistency of this material to the consistency of the colored clays. The other issue I have with the colored clays is that they are pretty much impossible to blend, or get a flowing gradation of color. I came to clay from a painting background and I am just more comfortable with painting.

plantman

Having no idea why you bake, then paint...I'll ask.

Doesn't the color in the clay stay after baking? Or is it to make the color really pop?

I could see the fella on the top photo holding a pen, as in a desk set.....

Scott (they look British....a little) B

Scott; Some brands and colors will change, usualy darker, after heating . Jim S

Top Bottom