playing around with desk displays

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stuckinohio

stuckinohio

I got some really nice curly maple a while ago and a friend wanted a desk display with matching pen. Came up with the large piece, then he also wanted a smaller piece for a tru-stone pen I made him.

The business card holders aren't fastened down yet an either of the pictures, so they might not be centered, FYI!.

The larger piece is finished in Wipe on Poly and it didn't seal in the color as much as I'd hoped. As a result the sides faded some and accentuated the lack of curl on the left side.

Used Arm-R-Seal for the smaller piece. I like this as a finish instead of the WOP. Seemed to lock in the color better. Better piece of wood also, with curl all over.

Lewis

Attachments

• 20170106_104458.jpg
    20170106_104458.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 360
  • 20170124_102646.jpg
    20170124_102646.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 360
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stuckinohio

I've been enjoying it, but I couldn't previously do it because I had no router. I bought a router table setup and I'm going crazy with it. Doing a mockup of a multi pen display right now.

I know this is beginner stuff for lots of you, but this is a very big milestone for me!

stuckinohio

Thank you. This one was actually a mistake, as far as routing the pen slot goes! I set stops so the groove wouldn't go end to end but I made a slight mistake. Ended up going end to end to fix it and I like it. I have another one almost done where the groove is "correct" and only 3/4ths the length or so. Booth look good, so I don't know what I prefer!

Lewis

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have been using the WOP as a pen finish, and recently have been dissatisfied with the results. I'm curious if you (or anyone else) have used the Arm-R-Seal as a pen finish?

Love the stands!

stuckinohio

I just used Arm-R-Seal on a curly maple pencil that is a gift for my woodworking "mentor" who lets me use his sanders sometimes and router before I got mine. I think I could have got a little more shine out of it, like I did with the desk display. I think he will enjoy the utilitarian finish though. He uses Arm-R-Seal on a lot of stuff he builds. he's a cabinet maker and all around wood worker.
It's very easy and if you like a more matte finish it's perfect. The problem I have with it is the time involved. I'm impatient. It takes several hours between coats to dry.
I tried the dip method with WOP and it came out OK. Felt like I needed to sand after to smooth it out some, so when I did I dulled the finish. Still looked nice but wasn't what I was after.
It's hard to be CA finish for me.
I know, it looks like there's slight bow in the pen body, but I put a straight edge on it and it's very close to perfect...Only see it in that picture!

Attachments

• 20170124_102536.jpg
    20170124_102536.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 162
Thank you. This one was actually a mistake, as far as routing the pen slot goes! I set stops so the groove wouldn't go end to end but I made a slight mistake. Ended up going end to end to fix it and I like it. I have another one almost done where the groove is "correct" and only 3/4ths the length or so. Booth look good, so I don't know what I prefer!

Lewis

One of the things I really like about is the full length slot. I did guess you'd arrived at that design by way of a stop oops. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom