Pipe tamper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

Had a request from a friend for a unique pipe tamper. This is what I came up with. Cross-cut African Tamboti wood with a brass tamper on either end. I'll mail it out tomorrow.

C & C welcome.

Attachments

• double ended pipe tamper.jpg
    double ended pipe tamper.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 492
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fay Prozora

wow! That would make a nice coffee tamper too. I some times fix some espresso coffee and you have to tamp down the coffee once you put it in the little doodad that holds the grounds. I had been using the end of a spoon handle for that but this sure does give me ideas. I might have to borrow this idea and that wood is beautiful! Great job on it... Fay

elkhorn

Thanks for the kind words, Andrew and Fay.

Andrew, it's a bit safer than your nail:big grin:

Fay, if you want to use it as a coffee tamper, Woodcraft also makes it in a 3/4" diameter. The ones I used were 1/2".

BocoteMark

Great looking tamper!

That tamboti is great stuff, very aromatic. I picked up a little stick of it from Woodcraft a while back and after turning a pencil with it I've decided I want more.

elkhorn

Thanks, Mark. It is a nice wood. What the picture doesn't really show is the effect of the crosscut wood. As you rotate it, because of the grain and coloring, it looks oval rather than round. I've made some bolt actions with this same wood and people are surprised that it is round.

Sataro

Great looking pipe tamper. Very unique looking & nice idea coming up with those brass feet.

Waggoner

Really like the wood. I have never seen Tamboti before, very nice. Also like the tamper idea as well.
Great work.

nava1uni

wow! That would make a nice coffee tamper too. I some times fix some espresso coffee and you have to tamp down the coffee once you put it in the little doodad that holds the grounds. I had been using the end of a spoon handle for that but this sure does give me ideas. I might have to borrow this idea and that wood is beautiful! Great job on it... Fay

You can turn a wooden coffee tamper. I did

Top Bottom