Pigments & PR Part 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveAxelrod

SteveAxelrod

This is my second experiment with pigments and resin, same colors as the shaving brush I posted about 2 weeks ago but this time I let the resin set up about 40 minutes so that the colors wouldn't mix. Worked great, you can see the yellow titanium much better this time, but the resin was almost too set to pour. So I'll try around 30 minutes next time. I used canary wood rather than padaulk for the collar.

Attachments

• Dad's Shaving Brush (1F+).jpg
    Dad's Shaving Brush (1F+).jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 209
  • Dad's Shaving Brush (2F+).jpg
    Dad's Shaving Brush (2F+).jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 234
  • Dad's Shaving Brush (3F+).jpg
    Dad's Shaving Brush (3F+).jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 212
  • Dad's Shaving Brush (4F+).jpg
    Dad's Shaving Brush (4F+).jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 204
  • Dad's Shaving Brush (5F+).jpg
    Dad's Shaving Brush (5F+).jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 223
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I like a strong definition of color too Steve, and that turned out great. It only takes 5-15 minutes here in the desert with Silmar for it to start to gel. You'll get the feel for when to pour by how thick it's getting when you're stirring it, but as soon as it hits that point you have to work fast to get it in the pressure pot or tiny air pockets can be a problem. Also, as you probably noticed, not all the colors will set at the same time (black & turquoise seem to gel a lot faster than other colors IME) but that's ok, the thicker color will prevent the thinner one from mixing it, so all is well. It also works a lot beter with mica powders than dyes.

Top Bottom