Peppermills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CREID

CREID

With all the talk everywhere you go about food allergies, are there certain woods you should stay away from and certain woods that are great for peppermills.
I recently seen somewhere a peppermill that was made from Walnut, now I don't know if the nut allergies follow into the wood, but a walnut is a wrinkled shell nut, which someone I know that has a nut allergy says are the most likely for people to be allergic too, although I believe some are allergic to all nuts. Some people even claim to be allergic to me, not sure what they are thinking. :)
Any way, your thoughts on this?
Curt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Magicbob

I don't know, but the local turning club works with a ton of kids and all they turn is wet cherry, because of possible allergies

Curly

Contact George and he will cut to order Olive wood he has. He did some for us years ago, that at some point will be made into a Peppermill for our table. :rolleyes: No nut allergies to worry about, :) and reactions to Olive oil are uncommon according to Google.

Here is a picture of one of them.

attachment.php

Attachments

• PB160015.jpg
    PB160015.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 254

Dai Sensei

I seal the inside of all my pepper mills with multiple coats of hard shellac. Protects the peppercorns and the wood. I let people know what woods they are and let them know coatings inside but still leave it to them to take or not to take risks.

I do the same as Neil... a good coating of a sealant should protect anyone with an allergy... I use any and all kinds of woods for my peppermills. I also mark the type of wood I've used on the bottom rim of the mill, more so I can remember the type of wood than anything,

Top Bottom