pepper mills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from socdad

socdad

I started on this project last fall, thought it would take a week or so … Just finished the first set of segmented pepper mills. These are all 8 inch mills, walnut, maple, cherry & padauk. At least I have these 3 for my show in a couple weeks ...

IAP Segmented mill 1.jpgIAP Segmented mill 2.jpgIAP Segmented mill 3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Brilliant use of your woods... I think the glue up blanks make the best looking mills... I need to start a few this spring for my market starting in May... great job.

I prefer the crush grind mills myself since I'm a little measurementally (or maybe just mentally) challenged.

socdad

Thanks all for the kind words ...

Good looking mills. Great job.

Thanks Bob, you are to blame for my somewhat new addiction. I watched you at an Ohio Pen Turners meeting at Hartville Hardware that you led a demo ...

Brilliant use of your woods... I think the glue up blanks make the best looking mills... I need to start a few this spring for my market starting in May... great job.

I prefer the crush grind mills myself since I'm a little measurementally (or maybe just mentally) challenged.

I've never tried a crush grind ... now I need to try something else new!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
They are really nice!! Shape and material are outstanding.

One comment: Remember these can be used with greasy hands while in the kitchen. So, deep grooves that are narrow will be hard to clean, encouraging your customer to use hot soapy water, which will do nothing good for your beautiful glue joints!! The middle design is my favorite for that reason.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very nice Jeff. I really appreciate the profile with each. Thanks for sharing - makes me want to get back to my lathe soon!!!

I think you'll like the crush grinds... I think the design opportunity is more open...

Ed Brown mentioned about the grooves and greasy hands in a kitchen... I finish all of my mills with multiple coats of polyurethane over a couple of coats of sanding sealer... easily cleaned with a damp cloth or even with soap and water... also I use the Titebond III for the glue ups... it's supposed to be water proof.

socdad

I think you'll like the crush grinds... I think the design opportunity is more open...

Ed Brown mentioned about the grooves and greasy hands in a kitchen... I finish all of my mills with multiple coats of polyurethane over a couple of coats of sanding sealer... easily cleaned with a damp cloth or even with soap and water... also I use the Titebond III for the glue ups... it's supposed to be water proof.

I have been playing with different finishes, can't decide between polyurethane and lacquer. I use the same glue ...

VERY nicely done! Couple things I see: 1 - the grooves at the bottom are all evenly spaced and of equal depth (nice turning technique) 2 - the finish looks excellent (what was your finishing schedule?)

socdad

VERY nicely done! Couple things I see: 1 - the grooves at the bottom are all evenly spaced and of equal depth (nice turning technique) 2 - the finish looks excellent (what was your finishing schedule?)

This set was 4 coats of thinned lacquer, 2 hr intervals. Alow to set for 24 hrs and use steel wool, repeat x 4. Buff and final buff with carnuba wax.

Top Bottom