Pepper Mill Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dbriski

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbriski

I am getting ready to turn a pepermill/ salt shaker set for my mom's birthday. These will be my first. Any tips for a first timer would be helpful. One main question I have is reguarding finishing. Do you finish the inside? If so with the same as the outside? If it makes a difference I will be using Walnut for my mills.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ilikewood

Walnut can contain a bit of some toxins. I use a sanding sealer on most woods, but on bad or dusty woods, I use a 2 part epoxy and literally seal the inside so there will be no contact with any wood. Sometimes it is better to be safe than sorry. I am probably over cautious here, but I don't want somebody trying to blame me for something I could have prevented.[:(]

mewell

LOML has a similar question r.e. salt shakers. She's written a note to the person that wrote the article in the latest American Woodturner about turning salt & pepper shakers (Bob Rosand) and is still waiting to hear. From what she has found so far, woods like aspen, oak, cherry, maple, ash and beech are "safe" and don't require an inside finish. I'll pass along the hint about two-part epoxy, Bill... How do you apply it? Brush?

jjenk02

Originally posted by mewell
<br />LOML has a similar question r.e. salt shakers. She's written a note to the person that wrote the article in the latest American Woodturner about turning salt & pepper shakers (Bob Rosand) and is still waiting to hear. From what she has found so far, woods like aspen, oak, cherry, maple, ash and beech are "safe" and don't require an inside finish. I'll pass along the hint about two-part epoxy, Bill... How do you apply it? Brush?

I just read that article the other day and I'm planning on giving it a try, along with the other 1000 and 1 things I'm planning on doing.[:D]

dubdrvrkev

Maybe its just me but I don't think I'd want to ingest any 2 part epoxy that may come out either.
I don't finish the inside, but if I did I would use something like mineral oil or walnut oil, about anything that you would use on a butcher block. No vegatable oils though.

The biggest thing I learned is you really need to plan your process first. I think it depends on the mechanisms that you use but there can be a number of drilling operations and you don't want to get one of those backwards.

ilikewood

I use a brush (tube cleaner) to apply the epoxy. I put on a fairly thick coat and it will not flake or chip off. This is the same stuff they use for table tops too, so it is really tough.

mewell

Bill - When you say "tube brush" are you talking about the ones that are like this?

m102353.001

Mark

ilikewood

yep! Except, I put a paper towel over it to make the surface as smooth as possible. Use el cheapo brushes cuz it is a one time deal. I use a 1/2" brush for a 1" hole so I can swab it around.

I suppose there are a thousand ways to apply it easier, but this is what I had on hand and so I use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom