Penn State Bracelets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from moke

moke

My wife got a hold of a Penn State catalog last night and has decided she would like several of the "bangle bracelets". Has anyone had any experience with them..... Is this a good kit?
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MTViper

I've made several of them. They are crowd pleasers. Everyone who sees them wants some. There are 2 types of blanks for the bangles or you can use the wood of your choice. The dyed wood blanks are beautiful, but when you get them they usually aren't round. That's not a problem if your wife needs the small size metal insert (size 8). If she needs the large ones (size 9), it can be a problem having enough wood to if the oval is too extreme. The acrylic blanks are round and turn nicely. I think the wood ones look better, but that's just me.

The metal inserts slip inside the blank once you get your inside diameter right. I glue them in with Goop adhesive. There's always some squeeze out and it comes off easily with a box knife. You have to turn down the width of the blank to fit the insert.

Overall, she will love them if you make them and then you'll be making them for every woman you know.

If you decide to step up from those, go to: WildWood Design - Supplies for the Woodturing Jeweler . I started with these and switched to PSI bangles because of the cost difference. The biggest difference is the Bangle Guy makes his own inserts and the two halves lock together. I still glue them but might not have to. The blanks are resin cast burls and they are beautiful.

Steve

moke

MTViper....Thank you..that is very helpful!

Ted....no, I used to and it began to ruin my hobby and turn it into a chore and I worked two jobs until the end of this last year so I didn't need another....but when the little woman wants something she gets it!! Plus I thought they would make some nice Christmas gifts...

eharri446

You can also get a mold from PTownSubbie to cast your own. Or you can cut up some board about 4 inces square by 1 inch think and try to make your own. There are several good videos on Youtube about how to make them.

Skie_M

Get your blanks oversized 4x4x1, turn it round to make a cylinder and use a hole saw to get the core out .... can still use the core for bottle stoppers, and also have 4 bangle blanks to cut apart on the bandsaw or table saw (use a jig and be careful!).

Skie_M

I'ld say ... take the cost of the kit + the cost of the blank, x 2 to 2.5 .... and if the figure still seems a bit low (due to your desired labor cost) add another 10 - 15 bucks or so.

Using this logic, take a nice gold/rhodium Jr Gent fountain pen kit for 35 dollars, add in a set of abalone shell blanks for 50 dollars ... 85 dollars base cost. Times 2 - 2.5 gives you a 170 - 215 dollar price tag. (And some people will sell it for more ... depends, of course, on the market they are in and what their clientele is willing to pay for their new toy!)

eranox

I use the materials cost x3 formula. 1x pays for my materials, 1x for my consumables, finishing supplies, and tools, and 1x pays for my time.

This isn't a foolproof formula, of course. There are adjustments based on the labor I put in, and the perceived value of the end result. I don't sell bowls, for example, because there is a lot of labor involved, and the blanks cost a lot. Most people aren't willing to pay $100+ for "some wooden bowl." I've also found that segmenting, in most cases, doesn't warrant as big of a price increase as the extra labor and materials would warrant.

jcm71

I get my bangle supplies from The Bangle Guy and Bear Tooth Woods (bangle guy reseller). They only sell SS and copper bangle frames. They are more expensive than PSI, however, I have no interest in the "Faux Rhodium", brass, or 24kt bangles. That's just me, and that may change if the PSI products prove to be of reliable quality. Over the past year I have made about 60 bangles and have sold or given away about half of them. Each takes about an hour to make, spread over two days (need to let the liquid nails dry and set). If your blank has acrylic in it, be sure to reverse paint it after you size the inside diameter and before you glue up. DAMHIKT The response by the ladies who have seen them has been universally favorable, to the point where I am surprised I have not sold more of them. I'm charging $125, which I think is a fair price for my market. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom