"Parquetry pens"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from chrisk

chrisk

Here is a project made for me by a Greek professional, named Dimitris Misailidis*. The inlays are wooden parts: what is cut (with a scrollsaw) in one blank (say the darker one) is inlaid in the other one, that is the clear one, and vice versa. The woods are walnut and maple. Those blanks are for testing the process. More to come.

* A part of his work here: http://lumberjocks.com/dimitris/projects

Attachments

• IMG_0844b.jpg
    IMG_0844b.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 216
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chrisk

Hi guys,
Thanks for the warm words. But the scroll work is not mine as I wrote above.

Yesterday, after a three months stay in Greece, I came back home and this morning I was at work... At this stage, I just turned those blanks round and was so excited that I couldn't resist to share. That is I stopped turning further :biggrin::biggrin:...

Now the difficult part. As those blanks are experiments, my friend didn't really follow the measures I gave him. And to finalize those blanks in pens I have to cut somewhere in the middle. I was thinking to make two pens from each blank, namely an Artist Sketch and a Sierra or Elegant Beauty. I prefer to avoid the extra difficulty to align the parts at this time. What do you think about this? Any suggestion welcomed.

turbowagon

Hard to tell how long they are, but they would look nice on a long click or zen if the size is right where you could incorporate the entire design.

chrisk

Hard to tell how long they are, but they would look nice on a long click or zen if the size is right where you could incorporate the entire design.

Overall blank's length: 140mm (5 1/2")
Inlay's length: 128mm (5")

I was thinking to cut @ the blue line, the upper part (2") for an Elegant Beauty and the lower one (up to 92mm or 3,62") for another one piece kit, like the Artist Sketch or the Zen...

Seems we all agree for a one piece pen kit or a 2piece one without c/b.

Attachments

• IMG_0845c.jpg
    IMG_0845c.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 160
Top Bottom