Ornament Inlay Kit Source

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PSNCO

PSNCO

I received this in my email this morning from Peachtree:

e-Direct Special

These kits are very interesting, but even at half price they still seem a bit pricey and wasn't fond of some of the designs.

Is there another vendor out there for these types of inlays for ornaments?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I had seen these before and i think Ron Brown has the market cornered on these for now. It is just a matter of time when you see more things like this with the popularity of lasers coming into play. He had a video in 2006 that showed the basics. Not hard to do and you could make your own designs. Just need someone with a laser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WfOhaX1HWLk

Here is another. You can get Christmas ornaments like this in Hobby Lobby or Michaels and make your own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Aa_M1RCyq1o

Last edited:

Wildman

Do not know anyone else selling kits anything like Ron Brown's. With Ron's ornaments might look into making a stand to display due to weight & size.

Ran into a husband & wife team selling completed ornaments. They used contrasting wood, scroll saw, glue up and turning. Big difference between Ron's, their ornaments hollowed out and minus finials.

I make angles, ball, bells, birdhouse ornaments all are small, light weight, and easy to hang on a tree. Stopped making ball ornaments with long finials because of feedback from people gave or sold too! I still add finials but struggle with proportion & size of the ornament.

You can have a lot of fun making ornaments without a kit, laser, or scroll saw.

Wildman

KenV

Ron has used laser to use a scroll saw technique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgGeIcvE8hs

The Gwinnett turners do some good stuff on YouTube and even some pen related videos.

One can do the cut outs with a birdsmouth and a hand fret saw -

Tim Yoder did a recent Pop Woodworking video on the Ron Brown inlays -- still up on the popular woodworking channel

jttheclockman

This idea has been around many years. It is basically a form of Marquetry. People were doing it with fret saws before scroll saws came along and now lasers. Being a scroll saw artist, I have had to explain many times my work is done with a scroll saw and not by any laser and this gets frustrating at times. Lasers are here to stay and their use will only increase.

BKind2Anmls

By the description, you have to supply your own wood for the ornament body and the finials. The kit just includes the appliques. I wonder why they don't show a picture of what you get instead of the finished product.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

By the description, you have to supply your own wood for the ornament body and the finials. The kit just includes the appliques. I wonder why they don't show a picture of what you get instead of the finished product.

Many people do that. It is a sales ploy. The ad states what you get basically. What I get a kick out of is the 50% off. If that is that much off what profit were they making before??? Man for a couple pieces of wood that is expensive.

Top Bottom