Oriental jewelry box with patina

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

As promised, here is my second attempt at using patina paint on a turned wood project.

This is an oriental jewelry box made from maple. I've included photos of the original box both open and closed. The next two photos show the box closed and opened. Again, I left part of the box original to show that it is wood. I put a heavy coat of Briwax paste wax on the wood surface to protect it from the paint.

I think that the Ikebana project I posted the other day came out better.

C & C welcome.

Attachments

• oriental jewelry box original.jpg
    oriental jewelry box original.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 184
  • oriental jewelry box  original open.jpg
    oriental jewelry box original open.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 171
  • oriental jewelry box patina.jpg
    oriental jewelry box patina.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 221
  • oriental jewelry box patina open.jpg
    oriental jewelry box patina open.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 185
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Another awesome piece John!
I like the design and your turning talents show through in the finished piece!
I think this piece looks so much better with the painted finish instead of just plain wood.

Might I borrow your design please?

elkhorn

Thanks, Jim! I promise that I didn't dig it up from an old tomb:)

Charlie, I appreciate the comments! Please feel free to copy it, it's not proprietary. Something about "imitating" and "flattery":roll eyes: If anyone ever wants to copy anything I post, they are most welcome to do so!

SteveG

John, these turnings are beautiful!! I love the flow of the two pieces together. Nice work and nice design!

I am curious about your turning technique...

The long pieces that are the finished turning, were they full, perhaps square or circular pieces during the turning phase, or were they more like the long plank shape as seen in the photo? Having somewhat limited turning experience other than pens, I can envision it being much easier to turn a solid piece, then cut off the outer portions to yield the long but narrower final profile. The alternative may best be pictured as turning fan or helicopter (thump, thump, thump!! :eek:) blades.

elkhorn

Steve, thank you! The piece starts out as rectangular, just as you see the finished piece. And you are right, it's like turning a helicopter blade, and sounds like it as well:eek: You can turn a full board (square) similar to the Ikebana photo I posted and then cut it down I would assume, but then you'd miss the fun of being a helicopter pilot:biggrin:

One trick is to put some white tape on the tool rest to show where the outside edge is so that you don't come into it on the edge as it's turning. Not a good thing.

I learned how to do this in a class at CSUSA about 9 years ago. I think I may have a series of pictures from that class that shows how it's done. If you're interested, let me know and PM me your regular email address and I'll send them when I look for them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom