Orbit...off center bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dubdrvrkev

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

After seeing Stuart Batty do an off center square bowl I got a little inspired. I wanted to change it up a little though, and this is what I came up with. I am calling it Orbit, although I probably shouldn't be naming my stuff yet. It is sycamore and about 6" diameter. Just oiled so far.
As always, any critiques are welcome.

200722633312_Orbit-top.jpg

200722633332_Orbit-side.jpg

200722633356_Orbit-front.jpg

200722633414_Orbit-bottom.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

Thanks all.
Yeah Randy it is off balance all the time. Anything over 500rpm and the DVR was rockin a bit. Honestly, I was quite surpised that it did rock so much on this small of a piece. I have heard some people will counter weight when they turn off center but I just went with it.

Joe, the mrs. and I are planning an east coast vacation this summer, so you never know. [;)] I'm hardly qualified to show anyone else how to do this.

vick

Kevin showed this to me yesterday and it is an outstanding piece of work. I tried to give it to my daughter as a chew toy just to get rid of the evidence that I am not the best turner on the block. Great job Kevin.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by dubdrvrkev
<br />Thanks all.
Yeah Randy it is off balance all the time. Anything over 500rpm and the DVR was rockin a bit. Honestly, I was quite surpised that it did rock so much on this small of a piece. I have heard some people will counter weight when they turn off center but I just went with it.

Joe, the mrs. and I are planning an east coast vacation this summer, so you never know. [;)] I'm hardly qualified to show anyone else how to do this.

A couple of quick observations:

I can't for the life of me figure out why you would be reluctant to name that one, it is one spectacular piece of work!

Secondly, I've done a few of those and you will find it MUCH more pleasurable to turn if you counterbalance it while you turn. I use scraps of dense wood a couple of inches square and I screw them to my plate.

Finally,.... Kevin, Don't underestimate the skill that was required required to make that piece. What you accomplished there is truly something to be proud of.

Rifleman1776

Both innovative and expertly turned. Real lathe art.
I have heard that the Nova's can be shaky. On some forums it is a fairly frequent subject to see a special base has to be built to keep the Nova from running across the room.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Both innovative and expertly turned. Real lathe art.
I have heard that the Nova's can be shaky. On some forums it is a fairly frequent subject to see a special base has to be built to keep the Nova from running across the room.

As a Nova owner I have to tell you that your post has little merit.

The DVR is a "benchtop lathe" and is not sold with a base so folks either buy the nova base or they build their own. Before I bought the nova I had a Delta 1440 and found that unless that base was weighted with 300 lbs of sand it would skate across the floor. Bottom line is that unless your lathe is very heavy to begin with, ANY lathe will shake if what your turning is out of balance.

vick

I am sure Kevin will chime in but he has the nicest base I have seen for a DVR it was designed by him and custom made of thick square metal tubing. I have helped him move it and it probably weighs about 300 lbs and he has it loaded with about 150 pounds of sand.

Weight helps for out of balance stuff but their are still limits. My lathe probably weighs about 600 lbs and I have it loaded with 225lbs of sand and I can still get shaking on out of balance pieces if I spin it to fast. I have often been suprised on what will get it shaking. I turned a walnut burl piece a while ago with a lot of voids and partial sap wood and even after it was round I had to keep the speed pretty low or I got heavy vibration.

dubdrvrkev

Thanks again eveyrone.
All things considered I am happy with this piece and thanks to the support I have gotten about it I think the name will be signed onto it. Although that brings up a whole other issue since there is no base to sign.

Frank, I usually hear quite the opposite about DVR's. As Mike said my base is big and heavy, although I think I have a flaw in the feet I chose for it. I selected anti-vibration feet which have a little rubber base, and I think the motion I get is at too low of a frequency for them to work properly. IIRC they had a natural frequency of 60 hertz. I may try another set to see if that does make a difference.

Dario

Nice one Kevin.

My PM vibrated turning an 11" or so natural edged cherry burl bowl. I was surprised...I originally thought it will take much bigger piece to do that but speed did it.

I agree with Mike. Kevin's base is still the best I've seen...and I am everywhere LOL [:I]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />
Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Both innovative and expertly turned. Real lathe art.

As a Nova owner I have to tell you that your post has little merit.

The DVR is a "benchtop lathe" and is not sold with a base so folks either buy the nova base or they build their own. Before I bought the nova I had a Delta 1440 and found that unless that base was weighted with 300 lbs of sand it would skate across the floor. Bottom line is that unless your lathe is very heavy to begin with, ANY lathe will shake if what your turning is out of balance.

OK, I'll cry 'Uncle' on the "shaky" part. But as has been stated and re-stated they are pretty light and need a huge base to hold steady with anything very large on it.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
That's one of the nicest bowl designs I have ever seen. Either I haven't been looking at many or that is really unique - I think the latter.

dubdrvrkev

Rob you don't need my permission. If I can help you out feel free to ask. Don't tell anyone but I am in the process of designing a swing away tailstock that will work with it. [;)]

whatwoodido

That is really nice, the form is appealling but the attention to sanding is what really sets it off. A lot of times people forget how important getting rid of sanding marks is. The shape of the cupped area is quite well done.

Drew

jclark58

Kevin, Great job, make sure you bring it to the next meeting (March 10th). I've done 3 or 4 since seeing Stuart's demo using some small mesquite half logs I've had sitting in my garage for well over a year, I hadn't considered turning them round before moving the bowl off center, I may have to steal that idea for myself.

How thick (or thin) is the wing? It's hard to tell from the photos.

Jason

dubdrvrkev

Yes, Stuart was quite inspirational, wasn't he. Although, I don't think I used a whole lot of what he showed though.
The wing is between 1/8" and 3/16", it measures average of .175"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom