Hi all,

A few pics from my latest turnings.

2007619181957_Marronier.jpg

Bowl 200mm x 60mm

2007619182045_Loupe_marronnier.jpg

Hollow form 230mm x 65 mm, upside view

2007619182112_Loupe_marronnier02.jpg

Shaping view.

The two cames from the same log of a big Horse Chestnut Burl that was cut in planks from 75mm thick in the sawmill.
Not easy to turn because the different densities in the wood, the part with burl is more softer than the plain wood.
Finished with Lemon Oil from Chestnut, after the oil was dry I give an extra coat of wax for a satin finish,

clem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kkwall

Wonderful bowl Clement.

Do you sand them using sandpaper on the lathe, or use a power sander to avoid any ripped/torn grain??

I ask because I have been looking on U-Tube , and they have a few videos with people using grinder/sanders to finish their turned items!Link Below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY3JHxa7HwA

clement

Originally posted by kkwall
<br />Wonderful bowl Clement.

Do you sand them using sandpaper on the lathe, or use a power sander to avoid any ripped/torn grain??

I did the sanding on the lathe. There wasn't much to sand because I did the last passes with a very sharp spindelgouge. I've started with a 400 grit and finish with 600 grit. As last one I use a piece of leather, that works pretty good,

clem

Clement,
You have some of the prettiest woods.. this is breath taking.. I'm still waiting until I can get a hollowing tools so I can try some of the shapes like your second bowl, then have lots of big elm and maple to experiment on.. great work there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom