Nunchucks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from crokett

crokett

I'm thinking about turning a pair for my nephew who has a Black Belt in Karate. That's as much as I know about the subject.

I found these:

https://www.sakuramartialarts.com/Martial_Arts_Weapons_Nunchaku_Swivel_Repair_Kit_p/wea-92290-a1.htm

I'm hoping someone knows more than I do. I wanted to know are they a press fit? Do they glue in? Are they a two piece? What finish, if any should be on them? I was thinking either just wax, oil or some combination of those that he could easily renew. My experience with at least pens is a film finish eventually dulls and wears out.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

The ones I had as a kid had steel rolled pins that went through the caps and the wood while some had a threaded screw through the cap into the end of wood. Some kind of mechanical attachment in addition to a strong epoxy would be my advise. What wood are you thinking of using? Cocobolo was my favorite but what a wack when you made a mistake with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

crokett

ok... after more research I found a youtube video that uses that kit. the picture is misleading, the caps actually slip over tenons turned on the handles.

I'm not sure on the wood, something with a strong grain pattern and a hardwood. He's advanced enough that I don't expect he will make (too) many mistakes and whack himself. :)

I think Im going to attempt epoxy + peening a brass pin through the side of the cap into the wood. Or perhaps a brass bolt and grind/sand off the slot in the head

Last edited:

mecompco

Traditional ones just had holes drilled in them for a cord. Down through the top, then oblong holes for the knots They work just fine. I, too, had a set of ball bearing Cocobolo ones when I was a kid. I recall missing an underarm catch once and bashing myself in the head really good. Yes, you CAN see stars like in the cartoons. Lots of fun!

2 Saw

Those look like the one I used when I took martial arts and they come with a roll pin that you drill through the side where there is a hole and then drive in the roll pin.
I made mine out of Osage Orange or Black locust but any dense wood should work, I did cut grips with a parting tool on the handle to help keep them from slipping out of your hand.

Top Bottom