Not my Father's Mustache

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rockytime

Rockytime

I am seeing threads about razors and I see the kits in the catalogs. I recently came across my fathers old safety razor. It is old, tired and has most of the chrome or nickle plate worn off. I had used it years ago and retired it when the new modern razors became available. I resurrected it with a new acrylic handle. I have do the micro sanding and polishing yet but was excited to see how it would go together. I"m sure I"ll have to purchase a styptic stick as no doubt I will be getting a few nicks with this thing.

Attachments

• 1-20141111_192642.jpg
    1-20141111_192642.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 238
  • 2-20141111_192616.jpg
    2-20141111_192616.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 234
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I started using one last year, and only 3 nicks so far. But the best thing is that a quality blade cost less than $1. A despite what the commercial says, it shaves just as close.

thrustmonkey

Believe it or not, you can get blades that are too sharp. Don't get feather blades when your just starting out, particularly with that open comb. They're the sharpest Japanese blade made and will eat your face.

BSea

Believe it or not, you can get blades that are too sharp. Don't get feather blades when your just starting out, particularly with that open comb. They're the sharpest Japanese blade made and will eat your face.
I have those blades, and you're right. When you use a new blade, it's almost like no blade at all. Even after a week it shaves better than a brand new fusion cartridge. I won't use anything else.

Cwalker935

That's really cool. I would make a nice shelf and display it rather than use it. It looks too nice for everyday use. I have my grandfather's straight razor and razor strop displayed in my bathroom.

mlconnelly

Looks great. I still use a double edge razor and I love feather blades. But you certainly need experience before trying them. Super job with the old razor. I have an old Gillette from back in the 50's that I still use. That might be a good way to dress it up.

That's a pretty neat fix up... like the acrylic. I have my granddad's straight razor around somewhere, not about to ever try to use it, probably never get it sharp enough anyway... also have the razor my dad gave me when I started shaving... it may have been one of his old ones... I took it into service with me and used it until the multi-blades came out... but since I don't shave any more, just trim a little with electric clippers, I think I'll just save the razor for posterity...

Fay Prozora

Beautiful job on that razor. I wish I had some of my Dad's old razors and I would make new handles for them and just to have in memory of him. He has never used an electric razor in his life that I know of. I wished I hadn't donated the cup and brush he used to use and I so regret giving those away. New handles would have brought them back to life and bring back memories of Dad. Great job! Fay

Top Bottom