Norfolk Pine Keeps me Busy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kalai

Kalai

Hi everyone, I just thought I would show some pictures of what keeps me busy in my spare time. I really like to turn Norfolk Pine because it looks so nice and we have so much of it here in Hawaii. The finished NFP bowl is finished by soaking it in polyurethane and then sprayed with a lot of coats of the same to give it a real glossy look. I hope you all enjoy the pictures. Aloha.

Chris

Attachments

• making bowls 005.JPG
    making bowls 005.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 277
  • making bowls 012.JPG
    making bowls 012.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 295
  • NFP bowl.JPG
    NFP bowl.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 282
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Super Dave

Very nice Chris ! We have it here in Southwest Florida but I have not tried it. It comes with its challenges, I have several pieces I have not had the courage to turn yet. It looks like you have figured it out, thanks for sharing.

Dave

Hi Chris,
Love the NFIP bowls... I've only turned two or three pieces of it myself... it's not readily availaable in TN...

I did turn this piece for a local art sow last May... I won first place in the 3-D division of the show and then sold the piece the same night...it's great wood to work with... I keep looking when I go to my local wood supplier, but so far they've not had anymore or else it's sold before I get there.

Attachments

• AGTV show 2018 - NIP urn - first place.jpg
    AGTV show 2018 - NIP urn - first place.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 149
  • AGTV show 2018 - NIP urn with award.jpg
    AGTV show 2018 - NIP urn with award.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 136
  • AGTV show 2018 - NIP urn.jpg
    AGTV show 2018 - NIP urn.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
I love turning Norfolk pine! Though admittedly I cheat with pen blanks and soak them in a modified tung oil for a while before I turn them.
Why the modified Tung Oil?
I use it like stabilizing resin under vacuum. Brings out the chatoyance well and strengthens it a bit without going fully stabilized.

Top Bottom