A New Use (for me) for Pen Blank Cutoffs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveAxelrod

SteveAxelrod

I don't see me making more of these, so I suppose it's just wishful thinking that my ever-growing collection of pen blank cut-offs will find a good use (sigh).

Attachments

• Pen Blank Cut Off Rings(F+) (2240 x 988).jpg
    Pen Blank Cut Off Rings(F+) (2240 x 988).jpg
    87 KB · Views: 329
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Nice work as usual. I've been thinking of doing the same thing for a long time, but in the end I'd just have some plastic rings. Please don't take that as a knock, you did a fine job, but I just didn't see a market for them even as gifts, especially given the time involved making them. I then thought of making child sized rings to give to kids, but you've got the liability of it being a choking hazard, and justifiably so. Like you, I still have a large assortment waiting for something to be done with them. Let me know if you come up with any ideas. All I can think of is recasting them in resin, which I've done before (after busting them into pieces) with a shaving brush that actually turned out pretty sweet. Maybe using them for small inlays or knobs on little acrylic boxes?

SteveAxelrod

You're right, Jay. This was just a fun diversion from making pens. My fiance is a high-paid executive, but ironically she likes to make her own jewelry and she loved the Rings. Fortunately, she also has small fingers and these Rings fit her perfectly. Score!

You're right, Jay. This was just a fun diversion from making pens. My fiance is a high-paid executive, but ironically she likes to make her own jewelry and she loved the Rings. Fortunately, she also has small fingers and these Rings fit her perfectly. Score!

If the lady likes them then it's a win!

Very good use for pen cutoffs! I have also used antler to make rings and they turned out well. People have asked me to make some for them, but I'm a little hesitant since I'm not sure I can always match their ring size.

Top Bottom