A New Use (for me) for Pen Blank Cutoffs - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Other Things We Make
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Other Things We Make Show off your bowls, stoppers, flatwork, etc.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2018, 09:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 207

Default A New Use (for me) for Pen Blank Cutoffs

I don't see me making more of these, so I suppose it's just wishful thinking that my ever-growing collection of pen blank cut-offs will find a good use (sigh).
Attached Thumbnails
pen-blank-cut-off-rings-f-2240-x-988-.jpg  
SteveAxelrod is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-01-2018, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 246

Nice work as usual. I’ve been thinking of doing the same thing for a long time, but in the end I’d just have some plastic rings. Please don’t take that as a knock, you did a fine job, but I just didn’t see a market for them even as gifts, especially given the time involved making them. I then thought of making child sized rings to give to kids, but you’ve got the liability of it being a choking hazard, and justifiably so. Like you, I still have a large assortment waiting for something to be done with them. Let me know if you come up with any ideas. All I can think of is recasting them in resin, which I’ve done before (after busting them into pieces) with a shaving brush that actually turned out pretty sweet. Maybe using them for small inlays or knobs on little acrylic boxes?
Old 06-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 207

You're right, Jay. This was just a fun diversion from making pens. My fiance is a high-paid executive, but ironically she likes to make her own jewelry and she loved the Rings. Fortunately, she also has small fingers and these Rings fit her perfectly. Score!
SteveAxelrod is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2018, 11:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAxelrod View Post
You're right, Jay. This was just a fun diversion from making pens. My fiance is a high-paid executive, but ironically she likes to make her own jewelry and she loved the Rings. Fortunately, she also has small fingers and these Rings fit her perfectly. Score!
If the lady likes them then itís a win!
Old 06-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Very good use for pen cutoffs! I have also used antler to make rings and they turned out well. People have asked me to make some for them, but I'm a little hesitant since I'm not sure I can always match their ring size.

Four Oaks Crafts Youtube
FourOaksCrafts is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads