Never Two The Same

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Beautiful!
Your bowls are always stunning. I'd like to see before & after pictures if you don't mind sharing the glue ups.

Jim Burr

Banned
You segment guys are rock stars!! No doubt after the 1500'dth piece it's easy by now...I'll live vicariously through your efforts and give you a huge pat on the back!!

W.Y.

William those are nice looking bowls. Did you use your Ringmaster to cut the segments?

The RM was just used for cutting the rings from the flat board.
The segments were cut on the Compound Miter saw .

Thanks to all for the replies .

When I first took the pictures I showed them to my wife and sister in law . later on after the finished had cured somewhat I brought them in the house and they both said . . WOW . . they look a lot nicer in the hand than in the pictures .

Last edited:

robutacion

G'day William,

You certainly got those bowls down to perfection, one of the things I like the most is that you are taking some extra attention and work to what I didn't like about these type of bowls, and that was the hole at the bowls bottom, showing from both ends. You have certainly took notice to some of the comments made in that regard and solved it in a very smart way, buy creating patterns that allow the hole to the closed with a round piece of one of the woods used, making if look that it was supposed to be there, in the first place.

The other aspect was hiding of the hole from the bowls underneath, by gluing a extra flat board/layer, finishing it a lot nicer, in my opinion, obviously...!

Good job mate...!

PS: I saw your video of you tinny workshop, is that your new "dog's house" ...??? what did you do to you wife...??? or, there were other issues, such as house noize, and dust annoying the wife...??? you are not a small bloke and I wonder why you made it so small when I could see lots of yard all around...? just thinking, that's all...!

Cheers
George

W.Y.

G'day William,

You certainly got those bowls down to perfection, one of the things I like the most is that you are taking some extra attention and work to what I didn't like about these type of bowls, and that was the hole at the bowls bottom, showing from both ends. You have certainly took notice to some of the comments made in that regard and solved it in a very smart way, buy creating patterns that allow the hole to the closed with a round piece of one of the woods used, making if look that it was supposed to be there, in the first place.

The other aspect was hiding of the hole from the bowls underneath, by gluing a extra flat board/layer, finishing it a lot nicer, in my opinion, obviously...!

Good job mate...!

PS: I saw your video of you tinny workshop, is that your new "dog's house" ...??? what did you do to you wife...??? or, there were other issues, such as house noize, and dust annoying the wife...??? you are not a small bloke and I wonder why you made it so small when I could see lots of yard all around...? just thinking, that's all...!

Cheers
George

If boards are just laminated face grain to face grain I only use plugs top and bottom .

When using segments , the glue surfaces are partially face grain and partially end grain because of the angle they are cut on . I usually (but not always) put a solid foot on the underside of segmented bowls because if I posted pictures of bowls without a solid piece over the segments , on a couple sites , a few members would throw a hairy fit and tell me it is going to self destruct and split and warp and crack and all kinds of other scary things due to wood 'movement' . :rolleyes:

With that said, I have glued up segmented pieces for the last 20 years without a solid piece covering them and never had a problem .

They are right if not using properly cured wood or using a poor grade of glue or not applying a good finish or if subjecting the bowl to extremes of hot or cold or too dry or two damp . .

But . . . . with properly cured wood and Titebond 111 glue and a couple applications of shellac sealer and a few coats of a good hard film finish , I don't believe anything is going to self destruct in most peoples lifetime .

Oh . . about the dog house :biggrin:
I moved from the mountainside 14 km away to a smaller house in town. No room in the basement even after a huge downsize in everything . Back yard can only have buildings on certain areas due to services lines below . To build a bigger shop than 10 x 10 requires a building permit with inspectors breathing down my neck every step of the way . No permit or extra taxes for 10 x 10 on skids and I built it all to code anyway . . Will be very easy to heat with the little 750/1500 watt cube heater you might have noticed sitting on the scroll saw table in the video . Getting along quite nicely with my 90 square feet of space . Very easy to keep clean .

Last edited:

robutacion

If boards are just laminated face grain to face grain I only use plugs top and bottom .

When using segments , the glue surfaces are partially face grain and partially end grain because of the angle they are cut on . I usually (but not always) put a solid foot on the underside of segmented bowls because if I posted pictures of bowls without a solid piece over the segments , on a couple sites , a few members would throw a hairy fit and tell me it is going to self destruct and split and warp and crack and all kinds of other scary things due to wood 'movement' . :rolleyes:

With that said, I have glued up segmented pieces for the last 20 years without a solid piece covering them and never had a problem .

They are right if not using properly cured wood or using a poor grade of glue or not applying a good finish or if subjecting the bowl to extremes of hot or cold or too dry or two damp . .

But . . . . with properly cured wood and Titebond 111 glue and a couple applications of shellac sealer and a few coats of a good hard film finish , I don't believe anything is going to self destruct in most peoples lifetime .

Oh . . about the dog house :biggrin:
I moved from the mountainside 14 km away to a smaller house in town. No room in the basement even after a huge downsize in everything . Back yard can only have buildings on certain areas due to services lines below . To build a bigger shop than 10 x 10 requires a building permit with inspectors breathing down my neck every step of the way . No permit or extra taxes for 10 x 10 on skids and I built it all to code anyway . . Will be very easy to heat with the little 750/1500 watt cube heater you might have noticed sitting on the scroll saw table in the video . Getting along quite nicely with my 90 square feet of space . Very easy to keep clean .

Oh...! OK, you may have said it before but I missed it or I don't remember, about you moving house and downsizing everything, which is can be a decision that many of us are confronted with, some time in our life's so, I understand now the reason for the small work-shop.

I hope you didn't get offended with my "dog's house" thing, was only a matter of speech...!:wink::biggrin:

Yes, I would think that keeping such small area with an ideal working temperature, a easier and economical task, after all if building such size building is such a trouble free process, I can't blame to to make that compromise, after all you had done a great job in arranging that small workshop with so much stuff, many folks would be able to do such a thing and would need a 5 times bigger place to put it all so, well done in that regard..!

Wood storage, I see you got a little in there but certainly not enough so, I wonder where you manage to store all the other woods you had...!

Working with boards, is such a easier thing to do than with logs, I just wonder what you do now, when you get some logs, where to you store them all...???

I'm glad that your life is so much easier now, what a smart move you made from a few years back, smart man...!:)

Cheers
George

W.Y.

No offense whatsoever with the dog house mention :wink: . Would take a lot more than that to offend me .:handshake:
I do have a car port where I can store wood as well as another shed so I can just bring what I need into the little shop ahead of time so it can acclimatize to it's surroundings . .

I can still re-saw small firewood size logs in the micro shop and seeing as I only make small items it is no problem .

Top Bottom