Need something to fill in wormholes in a platter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from truckerdave

truckerdave

Howdy folks!
I have this really neat spalted maple platter with lots of worm holes. I am looking for something to fill in the worm holes and give this platter some additional strength and highlight the holes.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Attachments

• 0126181957a.jpg
    0126181957a.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 234
  • 0126181957.jpg
    0126181957.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 222
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Until I saw the pictures, I was gonna say coffee, sawdust etc. But with that many voids, I'd say the platter is a good candidate for filling with colored epoxy and then reshape it.

Rounder

I would use some crushed turquoise, press it into the voids then set with thin CA. Would give it a very interesting look.

Herb G

I'd mix clear epoxy with bronze filings and use that.
Copper filings tend to turn really dull when used with epoxy.

It's going to end up very heavy with all the epoxy it's going to use to fill that bowl in.
:eek:

truckerdave

I like the turquoise idea best, bet i am not stinky rich!

Maybe the Minwax wood hardener is the best way to allow the natural beauty of the wood show.

Thanks everyone!

jttheclockman

You are the artist behind the piece. You took the time to spin a dangerous piece of wood. Could have exploded at any time. Now you decide to skimp on a few pennies. Wood hardener is not going to keep that from a fragile piece because you are not filling voids. To make it a special piece, I believe that epoxy resin is the way to go. Now you can color it which I would do or can use clear and add fillings as suggested or turquoise chips. Or just clear and celebrate the natural beauty of the wood. But to me that needs filling unless you are hanging on the wall and never touching again. Your call. But you are the artist behind it.

Top Bottom