Need some advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alexander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander

I am turning a shift knob for my antique car. I am inlaying a half dollar piece on the top. I turned the inlay slightly larger than the diameter of the coin in order to fill it with something that may seal the end and smooth the transition from wood to coin. I plan to finish this with shellawax because I would like to see the knob burnish a little over time. The wood is Mahagony. I dont know if something clear like CA or maybe a black acrylic will work best, or just let wax build up in there. ( the later probably not a good idea ) Your comments and knowledge would be a great help. I dont want to screw this up.

2007329135856_Shiftknob0771.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Main reason I will choose lacquer is because of the coin actually. It is difficult to do CA finish with it unless you want to install it after finishing the wood. Then you will be faced with making it fit perfectly.

Not sure how long it will stay on the coin but I have seen metal with lacquer finish that did last longer than I care to know. But they are not handled as often as a shifting gear either.

Draken

Turn the coin cavity a bit deeper, then fill with polyester resin and let it cure. That would protect the coin, and allow you to use whatever finish you want on the wood. The PR would fill in the gaps between the coin and wood. This suggestion would have worked better before you turned the wood to the final shape, as you could have over filled the cavity and had a nice continuous shape between wood and PR.

Cheers,
Draken

ilikewood

Lacquer and buff.

Just a reminder that brass instruments (trumpets, trombones, etc) are polished brass with a lacquer coat, so that coin will take it just fine.

Alexander

Thank you all for your advice, Due to the fact that I am nowhere near competent enough to try this with CA or Resin, I am going to try the spray lacquer route. I just finished my first coat with sanding sealer. Wish me luck, I will let you all know how it comes out. If nothing else, I can always salvage the coin !! ( I think )

ilikewood

Just a question of curiosity, did you drill the handle center before you chucked it or are you going to try and drill it when you are done? Are you going to turn it over, chuck it, and then drill....OR do the drill press thing?

Just interested on how you do it cuz I always wonder about things like that (whether they are really important or not...and usually not) [:)]

Dario

Bill,

For me those are important questions and I would normally drill first before turning these types. You will need a different chuck but knowing that once you are done that the hole is centered and won't mess your finish after (if you have to drill) is a good thing.

My approach will be to drill and use a (smaller) screw as a mandrel and mount it on a Jacob's chuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom