Natural Edge Apple Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I had to do some aggressive pruning on my parents apple trees recently and saved some of the larger pieces. I turned this piece from one of the larger crotch pieces. Approximately 9" in diameter and 3" tall. Turned green with thin walls to avoid cracking. It will likely twist or warp a little, I like letting the wood have a say in the final appearance.

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

Sweet bowl Cody!

Is this a split crotch? I didn't really see the pith in this one.

I split it through the heart to avoid cracking. I turned it with a face and lost some of the pith due to the cut off. The dark area was some rot running through the center. I plan on turning the other half soon, it will be shallower and may not have as much character. I may turn it using my nova chuck to maximize the bowl height. I usually prefer to not turn with a tenon but you do what you have to do.

JimB

If you want to maximize the height then use a waste block for mounting it to your faceplate or chuck.

I do use waste blocks occasionally. This wood is really wet how well does wet wood glue up?

The first bowl I ever turned was in a bowl turning class. It was wood freshly cut that day. The instructor had us use waste blocks screwed to faceplates and glued to our blank with thick CA. He said he does it all the time with green wood. I have only turned a few wet pieces this way but have never had a failure.

Top Bottom