My neighbor can't measure!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bobleibo

bobleibo

One of my neighbors built a cedar fence this past week. To say he had a "little" left over material would be an understatement. A few pieces made it to my shop and this is what it turned into. All of it is from scraps except the faucet that I used to plumb the drain pipe and the chain to raise the lid of the chest. A fun project for an afternoon and the ice chest works so much better keeping the "soft drinks" cold.
Cheers
Bob

Attachments

• ice chest 1.jpg
    ice chest 1.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 313
  • ice chest 2a.jpg
    ice chest 2a.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 312
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

So let me get this right...you made it, then immediately tried to burn it down. :eek: Failing the arson attenpt, you took pics and and tried to act like you really were not trying to burn it down in the first place. Is that what we call a "good save"?

Now, humor aside, I like your project. The cedar is perfect for the project. I guess in practice, it is the other way around...the project is perfect for the cedar. Nice work and a neat design. AND...you made it through yet another afternoon without getting into too much trouble!:rolleyes:

bobleibo

So let me get this right...you made it, then immediately tried to burn it down. :eek: Failing the arson attenpt, you took pics and and tried to act like you really were not trying to burn it down in the first place. Is that what we call a "good save"?

Now, humor aside, I like your project. The cedar is perfect for the project. I guess in practice, it is the other way around...the project is perfect for the cedar. Nice work and a neat design. AND...you made it through yet another afternoon without getting into too much trouble!:rolleyes:

My neighbor said the same thing when he saw me standing on the driveway with the propane torch in my hand. No one has ever accused me of being smart....just creative.

bobleibo

Thank you for the kuddos!
These little impromptu projects are always a blast and you never know what you're going to end up with. Some good, some not so much~
Cheers
Bob

hcpens

:cool: It is good see that you have a talent - other than standing there with your arms crossed and S^%$# eating grin on your face.

VERY nice work and detail is spot on.:beer:

JD Combs Sr

I love that stuff. So easy to work with. I just took my torch to it to bring out the grain and try to make it look a little bit weathered, then sealed it. Done....
I was going to ask if it had been flamed. Great look.
That does not look like what I call cedar, Juniperus virginiana.
Tom, sure looks like Eastern Red Cedar to me, not up on the scientific names for woods but it looks like what we call cedar around these parts and that's ERC.

bobleibo

Goin' high tech

Same neighbor who can't measure told me something was wrong with it until I added this high tech thingy to open the tops on the "soda bottles"..... we took it for a test drive last night, works fine. Soda tastes great but he still can't measure. I think I know why now~

Attachments

• ice chest 5.jpg
    ice chest 5.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 143

Skie_M

Don't forget one of those pneumatic pistons used for keeping your car trunk open? Use it for propping the top up in case someone is a little too "soda-happy" and might bump their head reaching for a refill. :)

Also, there's a few varieties of eastern red cedar .... the one that people are a little more familiar with is the aromatic cedar. It's got lovely red and cream variations in color, and the smell is just wonderful .... the stuff you've got is more plain looking and is the fence post variety. I do have to say, that's some really cheap material, what they use for fence posts ... but the other stuff is expensive as all hell! I've bought walnut for cheaper!

Still ... I really like it for making small bowls! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom