This is my latest batch of pepper mills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

Getting ready for a show at the local Mall next weekend... haven't heard for sure that I've been accepted, but they have asked me several times to participate, so decided to this year... It's inside the mall and runs from 10 am to 9 pm... going to be a loooooong day. Can't let Dianne go with me as she'd never last all day with her back and such hurting the way they do... she'll stay home and maybe Ed, my step son, will be home for that weekend... He's a long haul driver and has just switched companies, and they seem more concerned about their drivers than his previous company... he's asked for the weekend, so maybe he'll be here...I won't have any pens at the show, I don't make pens much anymore, just pepper mills, bowls and wine glasses, plus a few other things....

These are the latest mills.. they are all crush grind mills and range from 8 to 10 inches tall, all finished with two coats of Old Masters Sanding sealer and 3 or 4 coats of Minwax Wipe on Poly....
1. Spalted Hackberry, 2. Spectraply Red Rider & Curly Maple,
3. Spectraply Camo Supreme and IPE, 4. Spectraply Royal Camo and Maple, 5. Spectraply Winewood, Purpleheart and Maple, 6. Maple, cocobolo and Brazilian Ebony over an Red Oak core, 7., Greenheart Poplar with a knot hole on one side (not shown) partially filled with brass filings and 8. Ash, Maple, Purpleheart, Spectraply Winewood and Brazilian Ebony.

I did all the glue ups... Nrs 2 and 4 didn't quite come out like I envisioned, but still look pretty cool with all the stripes running across each other.

Attachments

• 34-3459_1.jpg
    34-3459_1.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 34-3460_2.jpg
    34-3460_2.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 250
  • 34-3461_0.jpg
    34-3461_0.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 231
  • 34-3462_2.jpg
    34-3462_2.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 34-3463_0.jpg
    34-3463_0.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 170
  • 34-3464_1.jpg
    34-3464_1.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 201
  • 34-3465_0.jpg
    34-3465_0.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 247
  • 34-3466_1.jpg
    34-3466_1.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Never too old to experiment??

Nice job, Chuck--they should sell well--customers will enjoy the "choice", I think.
Let us know which ones attract attention and which actually sell!!

Ed

Very cool! Would like to know more about how the glue ups are done.

Rick,
The glue ups are pretty simple, just a series of cuts and re-glues... I put together a 3x3x12-14 inch blank using what ever boards I have or want to include, then cut them in a diagonal from one corner to opposite corner at the other end. You wind up with two wedges... I then face the original flat sides and reverse the wedges to re-create my square blank. Sometimes put a board in between for additional contrast. When the glue has dried I cut the ends back to a square. Sometimes I will re-cut at a new diagonal and repeat the process...which I did on a couple of these.... for the color I used the 3x3x11 Spectraply pepper mill blanks and cut them to width I wanted to use. I would prefer the blanks were longer, but work with what they are. You could buy the panels already sized to width, but they are really pricey.

Sometimes I'll make a larger block, 3 x 12 or 14 wide x 12 or 14 long, then cut 3 inch blanks out of the width... you can use multiple thickness of board to reach the 12-14 inch width. You can also use long board if you like, I generally stay with the 12-14 inch length as it's easier to handle and most of my pepper mills are in the 8 to 10 inch height... there is some waste on the cuts when you square up the end of the blanks. And when you use the wider blocks, you wind up with the two wedges again and I've always used them to create the last blank.

Last edited:
Great looking set Chuck. I especially like the shape of number 1.

Thanks PapaTim...
If you're over this way this weekend, I'm doing the Spring Arts and Craft show at Foothills Mall in Maryville on Friday and Saturday... then Market Square Farmers market and craft show starts on May 6 every Saturday through the summer and fall. Planning to be there every Saturday barring any unforeseen disasters.

Finished up my show -

I posted the batch of pepper mills that I had ready for this show at a local mall....didn't sell a single mill.... I did cover all my expenses, except for the two 12 hours days I had attending the booth... 2 sales on Friday, sold 2 large bowls to one lady and a small lidded box to another.... Saturday sold 2 medium sized bowls and 2 bottle stoppers to a couple... then spent most of the rest of the day sitting on my stool trying to stay awake so I wouldn't fall off or pacing to stay awake... my legs felt like I had hiked the Appalachian trail. Long long days for not much return.

Someday I hope to find a way to spend all the "sure are pretty bowls" and "beautiful work" and "nice turnings".... oh well that's the breaks of doing shows... done enough to know it can be feast or famine. Fortunately the cost of the show wasn't all that much.

Top Bottom