My First Vase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Lots of room for improvement, but I finally got around to turning a vase for my wife.

It's camphor & started out as an 18" limb about 4.5" in diameter. Final size is 10-1/4" tall and 4" in diameter at the top.

I recently acquired a really nice 4-wheel steady rest and it was a big help in this project.

Attachments

• Log.jpg
    Log.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 244
  • Vase1.jpg
    Vase1.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 242
  • Vase2.jpg
    Vase2.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 232
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Very nice Edgar.

I bet you had a nice pile of shavings.

I did.:)

I used some of the shavings to make up a couple of potpourri bags for my wife. She loves the aroma of camphor.

So do I...!

In fact, I have to use nasal sprays everyday more than once, the only time I don't have to is when I'm cutting/working with Laurel Camphor...!:)

As for your first vase attempt, you didn't start with an easy/small piece of wood and that would have ben a little more "hairy" but, you managed to get it done, congrats...!:wink:

Interestingly, I have been thinking for some months in getting the biggest log I can fit in my Nova 1624-44, in between centres and diameter, and make a vase out of it, not yet decided on what wood I will use, I have many choices...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Very nice Edgar.

I bet you had a nice pile of shavings.

I did.:)

I used some of the shavings to make up a couple of potpourri bags for my wife. She loves the aroma of camphor.

So do I...!

In fact, I have to use nasal sprays everyday more than once, the only time I don't have to is when I'm cutting/working with Laurel Camphor...!:)

As for your first vase attempt, you didn't start with an easy/small piece of wood and that would have ben a little more "hairy" but, you managed to get it done, congrats...!:wink:

Interestingly, I have been thinking for some months in getting the biggest log I can fit in my Nova 1624-44, in between centres and diameter, and make a vase out of it, not yet decided on what wood I will use, I have many choices...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

Thanks George. This was just about the longest log I can deal with right now. I didn't buy any extensions for my lathe stand when I bought the lathe, so my max distance between centers is a little under 24". A 20" extension is now high on my wish list. :)

SteveAxelrod

Camphor is always a good choice and your limb has some interesting character. I like the profile of your vase, quite unique. That won't be your finest vase but it will be your most memorable. Nice job Edgar, can't wait to see yournext one!

Top Bottom