My first try at turning antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mecompco

mecompco

Was gifted some antler, so decided to make this for the giftor. I think this particular piece of antler was old or something--the insides are very soft and porous. The centers sunk way in. It really should be a little thinner, but I was afraid it was going to come apart on the lathe if I took it down any more.

It took a LOT of CA to seal and I packed in as much epoxy as I could into the hole and ran the shaft about 2/3s into the handle. Added a steel washer to help hold everything together. I'm not extremely happy with the outcome, but it will be serviceable. BTW, it is a reed packer for basket making.

PS The shaft is 1/4" aluminum rod from Home Depot, shaped with belt grinder, file and sand paper. Bent in the bench vise.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Michael -- the inside of antler is a porous matrix and needs to be filed to be solid. CA works.

Old antler that is weathered tends to need some more extensive help such as cactus juice, but the brown surface suggests your piece was in good condition.

mecompco

Michael -- the inside of antler is a porous matrix and needs to be filed to be solid. CA works.

Old antler that is weathered tends to need some more extensive help such as cactus juice, but the brown surface suggests your piece was in good condition.

Really! I knew to expect porosity--just not to that extent!

The stuff would not sand, did four coats of thin CA to seal and sanded down--still little splinters all over the place. Did 12 coats of medium/BLO--better, but still fuzzy. Sanded that down, took the piece off the lathe and bathed it with thick CA and BLO by hand.

That finally sealed it. Gave it a scuff with 500 and 800 paper and called it good (due to the nature of the tool, a little "texture" isn't a problem).

Is all antler really like this? I suppose for a pen once a tube is glued up that one wouldn't have to worry about the centers digging in. By the time I was done, they were right up to the edge of the taper (I cut off those parts with the band saw).

Thanks for the comments. My next attempt will be a much small piece for a pen.

Regards,
Michael

PS I'm thinking wood turning tools might be better with this material--I am using a 5/16ths cutter on my metal lathe--etch-a-sketch method for the taper. I did use the carriage drive to bring it down to size, but it really didn't help the finish.

Last edited:

2 Saw

?

What kind of antler is that it looks like Elk antler to me and most Elk I have turned is much more porous I am working on an elk antler knife and will have to us CA to fill the ends on it but most white tail antler is much tighter.
Kerry

mecompco

What kind of antler is that it looks like Elk antler to me and most Elk I have turned is much more porous I am working on an elk antler knife and will have to us CA to fill the ends on it but most white tail antler is much tighter.
Kerry

I'm really not sure what type it is, though I agree it doesn't look like whitetail. It was quite large in diameter. Back when I was into knifemaking I had a piece of Sambar stag and recall that it was hard all the way through. I'm looking forward to cutting up my moose antler into usable chunks.

FWIW, the recipient of the gift was quite tickled. She is making a pack basket and put it right to use. :)

Regards,
Michael

Top Bottom