My First Stopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

I bought Ruth's kit 2 years ago and never made a stopper. I really enjoyed it. I like the fact that you don't "waste" as much material. Her stoppers are really outstanding and she is a lovely person..just spoke to her today.

Anyway, I am pleased. You should know that every bead, cove, curve (I don't know what the curves are called) are the result of making a mistake with my roughing gouge and spindlemaster. I would tear-out a section by accident and smooth it out. I was getting catches like crazy.

I also decided to ditch the black background and use a clean white t-shirt rag.

I think this pic isn't as bad as usual.

Attachments

• Green Bottle stopper.jpg
    Green Bottle stopper.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Nice job Tony. I presume you used the roughing gouge to turn the blank round? What speed did you use? I turn my stopper at 2200-2500 just like my pens & don't have any problems with tear out or catches while rounding the blanks. Make sure the tool is sharp (I know you do that) & don't get overly aggressive.

Once it's round, I use a variety of tools for shaping, depending on what I want to do - spindle master, carbides, skew, etc. Some tools are better suited than others for different contours.

TonyL

Yes..roughing gouge and then spindlemaster. I am not used to turning into coves..I was catching the upper sides of the coves. Tools were very sharp. Thank you for the tips!

KenV

Ruth is now selling stainless bottle openers that have the same thread, incase your wine drinkers use boxes, you can swap bottoms and have them ready for beer bottles.

Nice job with the acrylic!!!

Last edited:
Nice work Tony. It almost has the shape of a bell on the top half which I think looks kind of cool. As for the coves, I don't find the spindlemaster to be particularly great at them. The best tool I've found yet for coves on resin is a round tip carbide. It's the only time I use a carbide tool these days.

TonyL

Thank you all.

I have a round Hunter tool and another round Revolution tool. I was doing to use them but I thought the Sorbey Splindlemaster was the tool of choice for this application.

I called Ruth yesterday, I may need larger diameter stoppers. I made two and neither fit the bottles snuggly.

Thanks for all input and guidance.

Top Bottom