My first "square" bowl...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Warren White

Warren White

I cogitated over this for a couple of weeks before I tried it. I watched several videos trying to get up the courage to jump in. Turning the 'shadow' corners was kind of scary to me.

Despite my trepidation, I am quite pleased with the result. The bowl is Rosewood which was given to me by my son for my birthday/Father's Day. It is 6" x 6" x 4"; and I admit it is not thin and elegant. I lack a couple of things to make such bowls; a tool to effectively refine the inside of the bowl, and a curved tool rest to minimize the chatter. Those will come in time.

After sanding to 400 grit; I used home brew friction polish (two or three coats); then several coats of Deft spray lacquer buffed with a towel in between coats and then buffed on the lathe.

Suggestions are most welcome. I really enjoyed turning this bowl in spite of the angst I felt before I even mounted it.

Attachments

• IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 268
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Warren, I think you did a beautiful job. Yes, the airplane propeller corners are "interesting," but your finished product is wonderful. Well done!

Ambidex

Beautiful...I've never turned anything like that but can(sort of) imagine the pucker factor in applying tool to rough wood. I imagine the sound of it spinning would be enough to make me think twice.:eek:

Warren White

Thank you Ma'am.

I have spent some time in your neck of the woods when I was still working. Used to come there several times a year. Nice place.

Thank you for taking a look. Not as scary now that I have one under my belt!:redface:

Marmotjr

If may I ask, what is your recipe for your polish? I'm always looking for new finishes.

I really like that bowl too.

Warren White

Friction polish recipe

If may I ask, what is your recipe for your polish? I'm always looking for new finishes.

Thank you for posting! I made the friction polish with equal parts of denatured alcohol, shellac, and boiled linseed oil. There are other variations on the web, but this works for me. Make sure you shake it before you apply it, and mark the level of top of the mixture each time you are through. The DNA is the only thing that will evaporate, so you might need to add some from time to time. I keep it in a plastic bottle (like a ketchup bottle - with a spout on top).

I apply it with a cloth (with the lathe off), wiping it on, then turn the lathe back on and polish it. Perhaps 3 applications to make sure everything is covered.

I am a HUGE fan of Deft spray lacquer. I use gloss, and put 7 or eight coats on.

Marmotjr

Thank you for posting! I made the friction polish with equal parts of denatured alcohol, shellac, and boiled linseed oil. There are other variations on the web, but this works for me. Make sure you shake it before you apply it, and mark the level of top of the mixture each time you are through. The DNA is the only thing that will evaporate, so you might need to add some from time to time. I keep it in a plastic bottle (like a ketchup bottle - with a spout on top).

I apply it with a cloth (with the lathe off), wiping it on, then turn the lathe back on and polish it. Perhaps 3 applications to make sure everything is covered.

Hmmmm.... interesting. I'll have to try that.

Top Bottom