My first bowl!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NancyLaird

Status
Not open for further replies.

NancyLaird

My turning to this point has been limited to pens and bottle stoppers, but after getting a lot of grief from some on-line friends, I've finally turned a bowl. It's a small maple bowl. It's a modest, unassuming little bowl, about 5-3/4" across and 1-1/4" high, and it sits on a little bitty foot about 1/8" above the surface it's sitting on. It looks like it's floating. It's blotchy, it has some cracks in it, but it's mine, all mine. I turned it and it's MY FIRST BOWL!!!!

2007617213052_IMG_0150.jpg

2007617213119_IMG_0151.jpg

2007617213142_IMG_0152.jpg

Nancy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LEAP

Fun isn't it, my first bowl was a little piece of spalted oak I pulled from the wood pile. It turned out ok but was the start of a spending spree. Two new gouges, three scrapers, new jaws for the Talon chuck, a band saw and a bunch of blocks later and I'm not done. I need a bigger lathe. Its fathers day and no new lathe so I guess I'll have to wait until christmas and see if santa leaves one under the tree.

Nancy,
Know the feeling.. first bowl is kinda like first child right?[:D]
Mine sits in the middle of the dinning table.. it's a little elm piece about 4-1/2 diameter and 3 inches high.. I've done some better since and some not as good since.. but the first is still the first..

I like your design, especially the little footy.. keep up the good work.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Nancy

Nice job, pretty soon you will be doing some really fancy stuff! You dont just do one bowl.....once bitten...well its like pens....

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom