My first birdhouse

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mike4066

mike4066

4 failed roofs, 2 broken bodies, countless curse words and probably 6 hours.. one birdhouse complete!

Splated maple & walnut

Attachments

• 20151023_195007.jpg
    20151023_195007.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 259
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Mike: you need to do 2 more like this (with notes/curse words
accepted!!!). Then you will have a good handle on what needs to be done!!!

This one looks fine!!! I suspect a few lessons!

After 2-3. You will get into a rhythm and be able to do the next 20-40 much quicker, and with good precision!

Have FUN!

Last edited:

CREID

I have always wanted to do one of these. I forget now, but someone sells little birds for the perch on these.

Curt

Skie_M

I've seen little birds that would fit on these for sale up at the local Dollar Tree .... a dollar for 2 birds, I think.

I'm gonna have to try my hand at a birdhouse or 20 now ... :)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Very nice job on that birdhouse.

You can get little birds for it at Hobby Lobby in the Miniatures Section.

ELA

very nice beginning. I have made many of them with different shapes and sizes. Have made a few with the little birds too.

TonyL

You can get little birds for it at Hobby Lobby in the Miniatures Section.

Ed made me a nice one with a cardinal perched on it, and we enjoy it everyday. Ir reminds my wife of her father (beautiful man).

Her sister wants one too.

Yours is beautiful too.

I would like to buy another one for my wife's sister.

mike4066

Thanks everyone, I really enjoyed getting this one done problems and all. I didn't know what to do without a mandrel and bushings :).

You can't see in the picture but the roof of this one Popped off the jamb chuck and cracked before I could finish shaping it. I finished the top on a belt sander which makes the roof finial look like a stick. I think it worked well and will probably do more with the roof like that.

hilltopper46

Thanks everyone, I really enjoyed getting this one done problems and all. I didn't know what to do without a mandrel and bushings :).

You can't see in the picture but the roof of this one Popped off the jamb chuck and cracked before I could finish shaping it. I finished the top on a belt sander which makes the roof finial look like a stick. I think it worked well and will probably do more with the roof like that.

You should be able to use your tailstock to hold the roof in place on the jam chuck while you are shaping it - you only need to take it away when you make the final cut on the end of the top of the roof.

mike4066

You should be able to use your tailstock to hold the roof in place on the jam chuck while you are shaping it - you only need to take it away when you make the final cut on the end of the top of the roof.

I was using the twilstock but got a bit thin on the roof so when i got a catchance it split am went airborn.

Last edited:

solobiker

Great job! My first one took me 6 hours too. I am far faster now. I have used my scroll saw to make small compound cut birds for the perch.

Top Bottom