My first attempts.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bmcclellan

bmcclellan

Ok, these are the first 3 things I turned figuring out the lathe.

The 1st thing I turned was supposed to be a Pencil cup. I turned it from a chunk of an old pallet runner. When I finished it ended up too shallow to hold pens, but it is perfect for my 2yo daughter's crayons

The 2nd Pen cup also was turned from another piece of a pallet. It was rectangular so when I was turning it only the short sides rounded over. I remembered to drill this one deep enough to actually hold pens and pencils.

The 3rd this was one of those bit drivers that you see being made on YouTube. I think it turned out pretty good for the first one ever. I turned it from a piece of red oak that I bought at Lowes.

Pallet Crayon Cup.JPG

pallet pen cup.JPG

Screw Driver 1.JPG

Herb G

This is the types of things I have been making.

I tell you what. You keep on making those little toys. If you're feeling generous, you can donate them to children at Christmas who otherwise wouldn't have any toys at all.:)
I had an old friend who passed away recently who made those little toys all year & gave them away at Christmas time. He would make 1500 of them some years. His wife's church group would hold bake sales to raise money to buy paints to paint them up.

I bet he made over 20,000 of them in his retired life. Trucks, cars, you name it, he made it. Lenny was a generous old guy especially when it came to kids.

The local lumber store burned down 8 years ago, but they gave him free cut-offs and scrap pine boards so he could make those toys.
Lenny was a local institution of sorts. He wasn't rich with money, but he was wealthy with joy & love from others.
I miss him a lot.

Tom T

Good looking turning. Thanks for sharing. I liked the toys. I have always wanted to do that but I have not the time.

MTViper

Bobby,

Pallets can be a good source of free wood, but you have to be careful with them. In order to preserve the wood and kill insects, different treatments are used. Some involve heat treatment and others involve chemical treatment. I found the following website that describes the different treatments and potential hazards: How to Tell If a Pallet Is Safe for Reuse? • 1001 Pallets .

Those that are chemically treated can pose a hazard to you as you turn them and to whoever receives your turned product. A quick check of the marking on the pallet can save a lot of grief.

Steve

Skie_M

Hey ... Love may just make the world go round, but it still takes lots of practice, practice, practice .... :)

bmcclellan

IMG_4590.JPG

Little free time Saturday afternoon.

The ones that look brown are actually copper sawdust cast into resin.

White with colored speckles are made using a back full of turning dust from all of the spectra ply wood I have been turning.

couple segments and wanted to try the beads so I went for the skulls.

Top Bottom