My 5th Bowl: Red Cedar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

Or more accurately, my 5th wood bowl. 5" x 2" and my Rikon 70-220 handled it with no problem. It's not perfect but it's my best so far and I'm very happy with it. Maybe even ecstatic. Even though I wore a mask I still smelled cedar when I breathed through my nose for a few hours after hollowing, I'll wear my respirator next time. It irritated my eyes a bit too. Finished with BLO, 2 coats sanding sealer denibbed after each, then paste wax which I wasn't happy with so I applied microcrystalline wax then buffed. Sorry for the dust/fibers on it in the pics, I thought hitting it with the air compressor cleaned it up. C & C welcome.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful bowl Jay! I love the grains, and the final profile is right on. Pictures are also excellent; I suspect you are like I - we know all the slight imperfections that 99% will miss - I see no dust/fibers. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing. (If I turned a bowl that nice, I'd be tempted to work on my signature!!!)

Very nicely done! Don't forget to sign your work!

Thank Charlie! I just saw a video from Mike Peace last friday about signing your work. I thought about it then decided not to, but now that you've mentioned it I'm thinking it's a good idea. A signature and a date it shall get!

Well Done Jay!
I have yet to tackle a bowl. When I see nice work like this it inspires me to give it a try!

Thank you, and there's no time like the present! Start with something small and cheap lol. Pay attention to proper use of the (sharp) bowl gouge and you'll be surprised how easy it can be. I know I was with my first one and I was scared stiff going into it. It wasn't beautiful by any means but it wasn't too bad either. Brian Havens has a great video on bowl gouge technique and Brendan Stemp has an excellent one on catches and how to avoid them.

Top Bottom