My 2015 summer Tree House

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

It's been a tough spring and summer this year with all the rain. What I hoped to be a 4-6 week project turned in to 4 months. My youngest is 6 and had been asking for a tree house and swing set for the past year. I guess the metal store bought swing set was just not fun enough, so my wife asked if I could assemble a wood set. Thinking it might be more fun to design my own, I opted out of the Menards sets and bought some lumber. Thankfully my wife was eager to grab a hammer and did great helping out. This was the end result that took most of my summer free time and day light blank making time. I still have a front door and a set of sliding doors for the inside opening of the tunnel slide, to make. The deck staining will be next year.

The entire structure was built on treated 4x4 posts sunk below the frost line, around the tree so nothing is nailed to the tree. The house is 8' square with 5' high side walls, vinyl siding and shingle roof. The inside is insulated and paneling with vinyl windows. I made the bridge with a set of logging chains and carriage bolts through the wood. I zip tied some pool noodles over the exposed bolts underneath. The handrails are barge rope and the rest is treated 2x lumber.

This winter I may try to make some inside furniture but that's after a much needed break from it. lol

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 222
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 208
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 202
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 197
  • image5.JPG
    image5.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
GEEE WHIZZZZ, John!!!

You could RENT that as a cottage!!!

Beats the crud out of our old "tree houses" with floors that were just a little tilted, because the branches didn't work out right!!

Quite a fortress!
Well done, dad!!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
It will be treasured for many, many fond memories!

I think you have a very productive summer!

ENJOY!

JohnU

Wow! You say that's for kids? Looks like it would make a fine retreat for adults!

Your first tenant???:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Funny you should mention that.... my sister-in-law asked what I was going to do with it when the kids outgrow it. I told her... run an extension cord up the tree for the mini fridg and drink beer off it. Until then I guess a hammock underneath will have to due. Thankfully the I can hit the WIFI with the Ipad from there. :)

Thanks All. Yes the boy is very proud. I had a standing order from him that I couldn't work on it with out him. lol Now I need to finish the door so we can have the sleep out.

Last edited:

bobleibo

For a 6 year old? You do know that every kid in your neighborhood will now become you extended family. That place is nicer than my house, want to trade?

Last edited:
Top Bottom