more pepper mill questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from emtmike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by emtmike
<br />So what do you use for a finish on things like pepper mills?

I used shellawax from csusa on my peppermills.
dont put finish on the inside.
my first peppermill i used deft lacquer because thats what the instructor brought with him to the class.
He uses deft lacquer on every food item he turns.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Spray Lacquer, several coats. They have really started to look nice since I have begun using this method (about a year).

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mike,

My "mounting method" is very simple now that I use my scroll chuck extensively. So, I can take them off the lathe, upstairs where the humidity and heat are reasonable, and remount to sand (600 grit) each coat and respray.

Yes, this is a long process. But, if this is going to be used in the kitchen, it is NOT going to be "Waterless" throughout its life. While this method carries no iron-clad guarantees, it should be pretty durable! (FWIW)

Mike,
I'm probably not the guy to answer this... I use a variety of finishes.. depending on what I read about the night before on the forum, or what the wood is....
Like Ed, I use the scroll chuck as soon as I can get the wood set up for it... I generally do only the crush grind style since they are a little more forgiving.. I turn and shape the mill as one piece... finish the outside.

I use a number of finishes... crystal cote from HUT, I've done a CA/Blo finish and BLO followed by a paste furniture wax. I don't try for a high gloss on my pepper mills, just a good durable finish. No finish inside.

I do all of my work in the shop.. if its too cold, I just don't go out there.

thetalbott4

Lately I've been using 4-5 coats of Danish or Tung oil with a fine steel wool rubdown in between. I let each coat cure overnight, but thats mostly cuz I only get a short time in the shop each night. Looks great and gives a nice natural satin finish.

Awoodfan

I make a lot of peppermills a year, and have for several years if that means anything. Depending on the wood I generally use several coats of sanding sealer ( 1/4th lacquer thinner 3/4ths Deft semi gloss ) then buff with pure Carnuba wax and have never had one come back yet.

Ron
www.woodfan.com

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
20061152844_blk-wte%20revsquare.gif
<br />

RPM

I started using this many years back on my "flat work". I buy it locally, but as seen below, CSUSA also carries it.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=308-1000

I've been using it on peppemills for about a year now with very good results. Depending on the wood I start with BLO and let it cure for several days and then follow up with 6-8 coats of this stuff with about 2 hours between coats. Its really easy to apply, I use a paper napkin and wipe excess off with an old tee shirt or other cotton rag. No runs, no drips, no errors.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom