Modified Spectraply shaving brush

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

This was the first time I've turned spectraply. It's very easy to turn but for me, a pain to sand to a nice smooth finish. It takes a CA finish very nicely though. The one thing I don't care for is the "bubble" effect you get on the sides that run parallel with the dyed plys. I cut it apart & glued it back together to achieve a nice pinstripe effect almost all the way around, the exception being at the corners which you can see in the pics. I want to do this with a pen but I'll need to make a more accurate jig for cutting it. The brush hasn't been used so the knot hasn't bloomed out yet, it will look much better once it dies. I used a two band finest badger from a Chinese vendor on ebay. The knot was 23.5mm which works great with my 1" forstner bit & IX collet, but the glue bump above the plug was 28mm. I drilled the 1" hole, enlarged it with a parting tool, then drilled another hole through the cup into the handle & mounted it in a bottle stopper mandrel. It worked out great. C&C welcome, except for the pics. I know they stink, sorry.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thanks guys.

The best way to make the effect all the way around is to cut the blanks into equal staves and glue together.

I thought about doing that but have never made a stave anything. I decided to play it safe but unfortunately, I didn't get the total pinstripe effect I was looking for. If I make another I'll give it a go.

Top Bottom