Modified Mora knife into something not practical

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

I took a Mora Basic knife with plastic handle, it is made of a rubbery plastic which I got rid off, it really challenged my patience.

While hiking I found some dead birch trees and I harvested the bark, I cut them into pieces, ended up using about 50 and sanded each of them then I applied 24h epoxy and clamped the pieces to make the handle.

I am saying this is not a practical knife because of the weakness of the bond, birch bark is quite waterproof and the epoxy seem to stick only on the surface of the pieces. Laterally I would not trust the strength of this handle so it will be a show piece. The traditional and better way of making a leather or bark handle is to have the knife tang sticking out of the handle and have it screwed. I did not like the visual of that concept and I focused on the look of this knife. Mora's are really cheap and an exceptional value as is, I wanted this excellent blade for my knife. The handle is a simple and traditional scandinavian shape and feels warm and corky alike, a pleasure to hold.

The bolsters are made of the girlfriend old black and red jeans pairs which I turned into micarta. ;)

Clicky the thumbnail for a better view and enjoy!

Charles

Thanks,

Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CharlesH

Looks good Charles.

Would the bark take to Cactus Juice stabilizing to make it stronger?

I doubt, I don't think you can get a good penetration in bark, didn't they made canoes of it? I mean it's non porous. It's like cork which is not absorbing. I would think stabilization might be possible with more pressure than most non professional system can provide but hey take my comment with a grain of salt I'm no expert, just thinking out loud.

C

CharlesH

I lost my Mora knife that I received when I was a kid...

Any idea where you bought that one? This Swede needs a new one!
:)

Hi,

They revamped their line of knives for 2015, have a look at the basic 511, I do own the pro c which is like the basic with a more rubbery grippy and wider blade.

Mine was bought off eBay but make sure you look at those:

https://www.lamnia.com/ (if you are willing to pay more, have a look at Ahti knives, they are awesome!)

Finn Knives - Knife Center

Blade HQ - Microtech Knives, Protech Knives, Boker Knives, Automatic Knives, Spring Assist Knives, Butterfly Knives, Military Knives, Law Enforcement Knives, Collectible Knives, Kershaw Knives, SOG Knives

Everyone needs a Mora, they are a joy even just to whittle with. :)

Charles

Top Bottom