Mini birdhouse - TBC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Allen

Dale Allen

OK, here is the miniature birdhouse that was all turned between centers.
I use a center drill bit on the ends of the wood parts. That is the only way I can get them to spin. The small brass screw eye was not made by me!:biggrin: The whole thing is 5" tall and 2" wide.
The center section is a 1.5" square 2" long. The roof was cut from a scrap piece of cherry. Cut on the bandsaw and mounted between centers. I drilled one side with the center drill and put that against the headstock center. Then I pressed the live center into the other side, adjusting until I got it running fairly straight. Since it was being turned down it did not have to be exact. The finials were extra pieces from stuff I never throw away. The mating parts are turned with a nib left that will get sized to fit into the hole in the corresponding piece. This keeps then centered.
I drill the 2 holes in the body while it is on the lathe because it is easier than holding it while drilling. I noticed that Dale Nish offsets the perch hole so I did too, I don't know why!:rolleyes:
Got questions...fire away!

Attachments

• bh1.jpg
    bh1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 195
  • bh2.jpg
    bh2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 202
  • bh3.jpg
    bh3.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 212
  • bh4.jpg
    bh4.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 211
  • bh5.jpg
    bh5.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 204
  • bh6.jpg
    bh6.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 198
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

Any tips on drilling the 2 holes? I made one of these last year. Got it finished. Went to drill the holes and the bit wiggle wobbled enough to mess up the finish. I had it in a vice and on a good drill press. My guess is I should make a small tap hole or something to help the bit get started. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

RKB

Thank you Dale for taking the time to do an excellent presentation of your techniques. Going to give them a go
Rod

wood-of-1kind

Any tips on drilling the 2 holes? I made one of these last year. Got it finished. Went to drill the holes and the bit wiggle wobbled enough to mess up the finish. I had it in a vice and on a good drill press. My guess is I should make a small tap hole or something to help the bit get started. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

Drill your "holes" before you start to turn round. Easier to drill on a "square".

walshjp17

This is a really nice tutorial for those not having access to a scroll chuck. The only drawback is that the main body is not hollow thus weighing a tad more than the traditional chuck-based birdhouse process.

Nonetheless, great job and fabulous pix and annotations. Thanks for posting.

Dale Allen

So here's a hollow one, also turned between centers.:)
I don't see what the big deal is!:biggrin:
You will need to drill it out with a drill press, or other method.

Attachments

• bh7.jpg
    bh7.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 129
  • bh8.jpg
    bh8.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 127
  • bh9.jpg
    bh9.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 132

Dale Allen

Well, I wasn't sure how it would turn having already drilled the holes in the side.
But, it worked out OK. Reshaped that hollow one a little bit.

Attachments

• bird3.jpg
    bird3.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 123
Top Bottom