Mini Bird Houses #3 - #6

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
1) Body: Holly Oak #15 (Robutacion). Cap - She Oak Root #14 (Robutacion).
5.5" x 1.75".

2) Body: Holly Oak #15 (Robutacion). Cap - She Oak Root #14 (Robutacion).
4.5" x 2".

3) Body: Redwood (rockb) Rocky Bemis. Cap - Curly Maple (garage...)
5" x 1.75".

4) Body: Stabilized Eucalyptus Burl (woodturningz). Cap - She Oak Root #14
(Robutacion).
4" x 1.5".

We all know about George's stuff :), so I won't comment further.

BUT... I will add that the Redwood I finally started using from Rocky (rockb) is really, really nice! Soft, easy to turn, sands and finished well, very light - so don't split it when using the jam chuck/mandrel (if you are making these houses). Pretty grain!

And the Stabilized Eucalyptus Burl (Bottle Stopper blank) from woodturningz sat for a long time... Looked kind of scary... IT went GREAT, held up with no problem, and it's been very popular.

Attachments

• IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1554.jpg
    IMG_1554.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1555.jpg
    IMG_1555.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1557.jpg
    IMG_1557.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_1558.jpg
    IMG_1558.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 146
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RKB

Great stuff Mark...good work. There is talent in those hands and maybe a little magic too.:)

Old Codger

Mark! Very nice turnings and birdhouses! Beautiful wood and design...question though, are they hollowed and if so, what tool(s) did you use to hollow them? I've made a number as gifts in years past but never hollowed. Now I'm thinking of turning several more but want to hollow them. I have Sorby's mini hollowing tools but would like other inputs on other hollowing tools for small hollow forms such as yours. Thanks in advance and save turning to you!

robutacion

Hi Mark,

Great wood combinations and shapes...!

As ornaments, they are very pretty and something that can be done with wood leftovers, even if you only have pen blanks, glue 4 blanks together and you have the right body size, glue 5 blanks side by side and you will have the top piece. You can also glue a dozen or so pen blanks upright and create a square block that you then turn round and then slice to make the top, it would give a more resemblance to a roof look...!

Keep them coming mate, we all love to see your work...!

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark! Very nice turnings and birdhouses! Beautiful wood and design...question though, are they hollowed and if so, what tool(s) did you use to hollow them? I've made a number as gifts in years past but never hollowed. Now I'm thinking of turning several more but want to hollow them. I have Sorby's mini hollowing tools but would like other inputs on other hollowing tools for small hollow forms such as yours. Thanks in advance and save turning to you!

Hi Kenn!

Truth... I Have made 80-100 and never hollowed yet! I drill the 2 step mandrel; but don't bother to hollow out further. NOBODY has cared!

But... I also have the Sorby Mini set, but have been too lazy to try yet (I use the Mini roughing gouge and the mini spindle gouge for pens though... and DO LIKE them. I can keep them a bit sharper than Carbides, and like the "old school" tools).

I have bought the Dick Sing and Dale Nish books and really like them! I use a combination of their techniques. Nothing very innovative, just what works.

For me/family... ANY wood with cracks/holes/inclusions will be interesting!.

... Last Christmas... My relatives had a 3' Christmas Tree with 35 Bird Houses - free picks... And a lay-out of 42 pens... ALL Bird Houses disappeared... 4 pens were found elsewhere later. After 3 years of pens... they have enough!

I'm making many Bird houses now...

ENJOY! PM if any Q's

Mark

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
are they hollow? Never seen nor tried making one in person

Dick Sing and Dale Nish Book - I bought both. (Give credit where it's due). They recommend a 3/4" and 1/2" mandrel (Easy, peasy to make!). I do use both!

THEY hollow! ( They are GOOD; I don't bother...yet, but I will soon!) Nobody has so far cared!!!

Thoughts... My family likes holes, cracks, inclusions, etc... A very nice project - Same lathe, same tools, happy relatives... PRICELESS!

JD Combs Sr

... I Have made 80-100 and never hollowed yet! I drill the 2 step mandrel; but don't bother to hollow out further. NOBODY has cared!...Mark

I have probably made close to a hundred or so of these myself, lots of fun to make. I don't hollow either in the traditional sense but all of mine are hollow. I drill all of my "house sections" 1.5" deep with 1" Forstner bit. I have turned a 1"(tight fit) mandrel and cut a 1"8TPI thread in it and use it to turn the house section. Works for me and makes the resulting birdhouse very light. To assemble the roof to the house I cut a 1"x1/8" tenon on the underside of the roof which is how I hold it in my chuck and then use tenon to insert and glue into the 1" top of the house.

Last edited:
Top Bottom