mini Bird House #14 - #17

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
1. Body: Big Leaf Maple Burl; Cap: Cherry.
2. Body: Big Leaf Maple Burl; Cap: Teak.
3. Body: Cebil; Cap: Cherry
4. Body: Cebil; Cap: Cherry

The final 2 pictures are of the Teak.

Last year it was time to throw out an old arm chair that the cats had shreaded the fabric, and I had repaired the dowel joints several times, and finally one of the legs cracked and split.

Technically I did throw it out... But the legs just didn't make it past the wood pile... Enough for probably 20-30 bird houses, or lots of pens.

C & C welcomed!

Attachments

• IMG_1613.jpg
    IMG_1613.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1614.jpg
    IMG_1614.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1616.jpg
    IMG_1616.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1619.jpg
    IMG_1619.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1620.jpg
    IMG_1620.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1621.jpg
    IMG_1621.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 184
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

G'day Mark,

As you know, I admire your bird houses, regardless what woods you use but, what did surprise me was the grain of the chair leg, you cut-up to show us, there is a very unusual grain orientation, very pretty, indeed...!

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
G'day Mark,

As you know, I admire your bird houses, regardless what woods you use but, what did surprise me was the grain of the chair leg, you cut-up to show us, there is a very unusual grain orientation, very pretty, indeed...!

Cheers
George

Hi George.

I assumed it was Teak, but The legs turned very nice. Dusty (full respirator!), but turned like butter, easily sanded, open garin like Oak, but very nice. Teak is supposed to have a high silica content, but this turned easily, so it may be a different timber.

The blanks I cut up from the arms looked exactly the same on the chair, but turned opposite! Horribly torn grains, chips, no dust, and a lighter shade of wood... I have no explanation. I will use the legs and forget the arms sections.

I'm looking at some more platypus gum and she oak root right now... 32 done, 18 to go (I'll spare the forum all the individual pictures!). This picture is from last week.

Attachments

• IMG_1598.jpg
    IMG_1598.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 174

Old Codger

Wow Mark...when they say 'Practice Makes Perfect' they certainly had your turning of bird houses in mind! Beautiful little guys and I'm sure they will find a good home during the Christmas Season! ;>) Again, thanks for sharing and safe turning to you!

robutacion

G'day Mark,

Cheers
George

Hi George.

I assumed it was Teak, but The legs turned very nice. Dusty (full respirator!), but turned like butter, easily sanded, open garin like Oak, but very nice. Teak is supposed to have a high silica content, but this turned easily, so it may be a different timber.

The blanks I cut up from the arms looked exactly the same on the chair, but turned opposite! Horribly torn grains, chips, no dust, and a lighter shade of wood... I have no explanation. I will use the legs and forget the arms sections.

I'm looking at some more platypus gum and she oak root right now... 32 done, 18 to go (I'll spare the forum all the individual pictures!). This picture is from last week.

That ain't a problem my friend, some on its way...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
G'day Mark,

Cheers
George

Hi George.

Cheers
George

NO GEORGE :)! I meant it WAS ACTUALLY LOOKING at more (to turn tomorrow) that I already have. You needn't send any. :)

robutacion

G'day Mark,

Cheers
George

Hi George.

Cheers
George

NO GEORGE :)! I meant it WAS ACTUALLY LOOKING at more (to turn tomorrow) that I already have. You needn't send any. :)

Too damn late mate, another 7kg box (Platypus Gum, She/bul-Oak and some pretty pieces of Rose Gum...!) was in the mail 3 hours after I saw your post...!:eek::wink::biggrin:

You know me, I don't muck around...!:)

Cheers
George

Top Bottom