Meet Abigail, a candlestick from Anduril Designs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from drferry

drferry

Although I started out turning pens and still love doing that, one thing led to another and I settled on candlesticks. This one is Abigail, which you can see along with many others at my web site andurildesigns.com.

Abigail has a "dizzy" base of curly maple, African blackwood, chakte viga, and camatillo atop a maple burl platform. The central twist is a double rope of Honduran rosewood burl. The crown is composed of 12 staves of maple burl with camatillo and chakte viga plugs, and a cap of more of the same kinds of wood. She is 17" tall and 6.5" across the base, and has 234 pieces.

I use an old Revo mill from Legacy Mills that is no longer manufactured to make the twists.

I get an immense amount of pleasure making these things, which I'm sure is common to all of us on this site. Thanks for letting me share.

David R Ferry
Yucaipa, CA

Attachments

• Abigail 1.jpg
    Abigail 1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 217
  • Abigail 2.jpg
    Abigail 2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 194
  • Abigail 3.jpg
    Abigail 3.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 198
  • Abigail 4.jpg
    Abigail 4.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 179
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RKB

Magnificent!!

I'm blown away by the talent on this site.

Wow. :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing, this post is very inspirational.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thank you for posting these, I just spent a nice coffee-break browsing your website.

Incredible artistry! I would hesitate to ever light a candle in one of your designs. In a show box for display most likely.

SteveJ

You do some amazing work. The transition to candlesticks has served you well as a platform for displaying your talents. Thanks for posting this.

drferry

For those of you who are interested, the is a blurb on "The Making of Abigail" on my website (on the Woodshop page) that shows how the twist and the dizzy base were made.

andurildesigns.com

Thanks for all the kind words!

Top Bottom