Marking Knife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Yankee Remedy

Yankee Remedy

I just made this knife out of 01 tool steel. The guard and bolsters are made of brass, and the scales are made of resin that I had cast. The only part of the knife that was hardened was the beveled edge.

I started out to make a Kiridashi knife (Japanese utility knife) because I liked the look and functionality of them. Soon after I started making it I found out that a Kiridashi has only one beveled side. I beveled both sides so it's not a true Kiridashi.

I made a few big mistakes as I was making this knife so I didn't really finish it the way I would have if it came out the way I wanted it to. This is only the second knife that I've made.

Attachments

• marking-knife-1.jpg
    marking-knife-1.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 206
  • marking-knife-2.jpg
    marking-knife-2.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 166
  • marking-knife-3.jpg
    marking-knife-3.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 157
  • marking-knife-5.jpg
    marking-knife-5.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 147
  • marking-knife-4.jpg
    marking-knife-4.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 165
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Yankee Remedy

designed in Photoshop

The knife itself took me about 2 minutes to design, and the handle guard and bolsters took about 20 minutes.

Attachments

• k-knife-pattern.jpg
    k-knife-pattern.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 146
  • vector-marking-knife-1.jpg
    vector-marking-knife-1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 156

magpens

That is amazingly nice, in my opinion .... thank you for sharing !!!!!

I think you should complete the finishing process ... or is that possible now ?

I'd very much like to learn to make knives like that ... very unique design, it seems.

Last edited:

Yankee Remedy

Thanks Chris and Mal

Thanks Chris,
That's called file work on the spine of the knife.
it was my first attempt at it and it is the most basic pattern there is. I used a chain saw sharpening file and alternated one side to the other. Then filled it with black resin.

Thanks Mal,
I think you would be good at knife making. You should give it a try.
It's not too late, but I'm not sure I want to put anymore work into it. I did have a problem with the sanding because of the difference in hardness between the brass and the resin. I had that happen before on a toothpick holder where I used stabilized elder burl and resin. It looks pretty good but you can feel the unevenness. Do you have an approved method of sanding to avoid that unevenness?

Thanks Gary

Last edited:

Yankee Remedy

Gary, for different hardness materials, sand with a backing block. Nice knife and nicely space file work.

Thanks I'll give the backing block a try. You can see toward the middle I lost some depth of the file work through sanding. Maybe you can't see it in the pictures because I didn't feature that part of the knife.

Top Bottom