Manu Propria - Tobacco and Cigarette Case

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from manupropria

manupropria

In Spring 2016 I have the first time started to grow my own tobacco plantation.
Beginning September I could start step by step harvesting the leafs until November. After drying the leafs were fermented and shreddered. So I had to think about a container to store respectively to carry the cigarettes with me. I have made some variations but am still not happy with the outcome, one is to small, the other to heavy and so on. I still thought I could post a few images.
The tea caddy style cse was turned from ebonite and lacquered with urushi, "Negoro-Nuri", the other one pressed steel also urushi lacquered in Negoro-Nuri.

Happy New Year to all of you

Martin

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 222
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 213
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 210
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 244
  • a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 198
  • a6.jpg
    a6.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 211
  • a7.jpg
    a7.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 248
  • a8.jpg
    a8.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 241
  • a9.jpg
    a9.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 241
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Perhaps creating a case built around the proportions of a standard cigarette pack?

Take a commonly used pack that fits 20 of your smokes comfortably and build the case around it, fitting it with an interior hinge so that it's invisible from the outside ...

Make a small modification inside to add a divider wall or two for holding perhaps 6 each of 2 different cigarette flavor/types (menthol, non-menthol, ect) and one divider for holding you lighter where it wont crush or bend your cigarettes. (Capacity would go down to 12 cigarettes, but you wouldn't have to constantly look for your lighter!)

Once the exterior of the box is complete, lacquer it as per your usual methods and see if the size and weight suits your needs!

(Without the lighter, the 3rd compartment should fit 6 more cigarettes, giving a max capacity of 18.)

MDWine

Certainly no offense meant... but I chuckled when I saw the round container with the "hand rolled" cigs... they look like "doobies".

Actually, with laws changing they way they are, there might be a market for such a thing.

Your work certainly is beautiful!

manupropria

Thank you guys.
I will for sure take into consideration a regular cigarette box as a solution.
No doobies at all.
It is difficult to fill cigarette paper the same way as industry is able to.
So I do so that tobacco is not falling out

Cheers,

Martin

Herb G

Martin

Here's how I do it. One of These. And some of These. Cheaper and taste better than store bought for sure. I use Bugler or Gambler tobacco when I make mine.

There are other machines on the market. The one I use has been in use for 15 years and still works like brand new.

Skie_M

I've never smoked, but I do know some smokers, one of which needed help getting their tobacco roller working again. It was a simple device that was easy for me to repair with some teflon sheet. The idea behind it was to compress the tobacco into a roll and then the tube of pre-rolled tobacco paper with filter attached was packed by pressing the proper sized pin into the compression rolled shredded tobacco. It then expanded inside the paper tube so that it didn't fall out, but not so much that the paper split. Putting the proper amount of tobacco in was merely a measure of experience and the proper measuring spoon.

Another machine I saw that was also quite similar in function used slips of paper (like the Zig Zag brand). You laid the paper over the two rollers, put the tobacco on top, and then you slip rolled the paper into a tube with the tobacco inside ... this one didn't have options for the use of a filter.

MikeL

Regardless of what you are making, I sure appreciate your talent. I would love to learn the Urushi process.

Skie_M

Thank you guys.
I will for sure take into consideration a regular cigarette box as a solution.
No doobies at all.

Cheers,

Martin

I went and reviewed a few Urushi videos ...

I think that it would be a simple matter to cover an empty cigarette pack with plastic wrap (to protect the form temporarily), and then wrap it in layers of cloth, applying lacquer as you go.

Once the base layer is cured, cut the top off, matching the angle of the cigarette pack, and make arrangements to apply leather or other flexible material for the hinge, and continue with urushi application.

Once the lacquer work is completed, apply the hinge material and fill the compartments as desired.

manupropria

Happy New Year to all of you.
Might this year be prosperous and more paceful than 2016.

Thank you for your input.
I guess I have found the ideal packaging for carry my cigarettes with me.
It is a simple paper candy box. I lacquered it with a stone surface lacquer "Ishime-ji" in a very cashual way. There is space for 25 cigarettes and it fits into my jacket easily.

Best regards,

Martin

Attachments

• _MG_6827.jpg
    _MG_6827.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 182
  • _MG_6828.jpg
    _MG_6828.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 170

Skie_M

Certainly looks casual ... seems to have a bit of bulk to it, though. You carry it in a pocket or something else?

Cigarette packs generally had a lot of appeal since they conveniently slipped into a shirt pocket or inner/outer jacket pocket without a lot of bulk (only a small pocket bulge).

Also doesn't have your usual appeal in terms of looks, but it's certainly functional ... I'm sure you could easily store a lighter in there with your smokes too! :)

Top Bottom