Making a pitcher question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

My Mother asked me to make a water pitcher. I am trying to figure out how to do a spout and a handle. For the spout, I am thinking of just cutting a v-notch. For the handle, I am thinking of boring two holes in the side and gluing in two rods with a rounded piece glued on the rods for the handle. This would all be fairly crude. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

You can use strata bond boards. A lot of the professional wood turners use them on vessels for enhancement.
Lin

CREID

I think if you bored two holes in the pitcher like you said and glued in some brass rods, maybe with a countersunk flange on the inside for strength and then turned a nice spindle and bored a hole through each end and slid it onto the brass rods, this would make a nice handle I think. Maybe not for a half a gallon, too heavy maybe, but for a quart I think it might work. For a spout, you might want to bore another hole and use something like a spout for a teapot glued in.
Just thumb thoughts. My fee is 2 1/2 cents.

Curt

low_48

For the spot, turn a large heavy wall flange on the top. Then carve away until you have a conventional spout. Some carving on the inside, lots of carving on the outside. I can't imagine a v notch will let anything pour out. The trick for fitting the handle, is to tape a wider piece of sandpaper on the vessel, then bring up the handle piece and sand the profile of the vessel into the handle ends.

Charlie_W

Cody,
Since you have a lathe, you could turn a "donut" and slice in half to make a turned handle.... actually, two handles. This could be matching, contrasting, or complimentary type of wood.

Top Bottom