Lucky, lucky, lucky - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Other Things We Make
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Other Things We Make Show off your bowls, stoppers, flatwork, etc.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Default Lucky, lucky, lucky

I'm thinking I must be the luckiest guy in the world. Just got back from a week at the John C Campbell Folk School in N Carolina (y'all). What a great experience! Spent an entire week (12 hrs/day) turning platters. The instructor was Andy Dunning. Andy has been turning quite some time. He is the president of the NCarolina Woodturning Symposium's board of directors. He's been an ass't instr at the school and has taught his own classes there since 2014 - and I will vouch that he's an excellent instructor.

We (class of 9 plus 2 instrs) did traditional rims and a modified rolled rim and several different bases. Cool, cool designs which allowed us to embellish or add as we desired.

I had had never done platters (always have done pens, spindle work and bowls). So learning a new type was cool (and hard, too!) but I had developed some poor habits that needed correction which Andy and asst instr Beau Gunn were super helpful in doing!

I'll post some pics soon because we tried to do finishing but there was just too much dust to get it right (and we were finishing outside!). Just had to get a note in and a plug for JCCFS, Andy and Beau. I big time recommend this place for anyone east of the Mississippi. Or west.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Cool, never taken a class there, but my art group did a tour visit a couple of years back... it is definitely a neat place and looked to be a great place to learn. JCCFS is only a little over an hour from my house and on my way when I got to my son's house in GA.

If you look for trouble, it will find you!
TellicoTurning is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-15-2017, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Big congrats on spending a week at Campbell!!! Such fun!

A woodturning club friend is one of their instructors for one of the bowl classes.
My Wifey is headed there this summer for a week with Cynthia Gibson/pyrography class!

Please post your pics when you can.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ted, you may have been in class with my friend/club member Ken P.
I remember now that he was headed to Campbell for a class.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Chuck - you are so close! You gotta do it!

Charlie - yes, Ken was in the class. He's a pretty darn good turner. His work station was next to mine. He turned a green piece of ash and did a "burned" edge. Very nice but we had a good laugh the next day. It moved quite a bit.
Ted iin Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-16-2017, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Ted, isn't it amazing how much you can learn taking a class from a good instructor? I took a class down at Craft Supplies USA in Provo, Utah from Kirk Deheer back in December. Best thing I've done in a long time! My brain started to hurt from all the great instruction and techniques I learned!

I'll put in my .02 worth and give a thumbs up on any class you can take from a reputable school! You'll never regret it!
Marko50 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Gotta do 2 corrections. The instructors were Andy Gunning and Beau Bunn. I was tired when I posted - I'll blame the goober on that. Apologies for any hurt feelings.

But I won't change my impression of these guys. Two solid humans with excellent teaching abilities and great turning skills.

Last edited by Ted iin Michigan; 04-16-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ted, Ken sent me a pic of the class platters. Great job to everyone on these!
Attached Thumbnails
img_5160.jpg  
Old 04-17-2017, 01:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Ted, thanks for putting your endorsement on the John Campbell school. I have seen advertisements for the school but never heard of anyone that has attended. It sounds like you had a great experience there and making platters.
I am going to look into their class schedules.
I attended the Dale Nish school at Craft Supply. Thoroughly enjoyed a bowl and platter class with Glenn Lucas. Kirk Deheer added to the class helping with bringing everything together, both with additional instruction and supporting Glenn. What an experience!!!
Thanks again for posting and glad you had a good experience.
Gordon

The word 'listen' contains the same letters as the word 'silent. Is that like <<<<<ZIP IT<<<<<<
flyitfast is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Charlie - the one of Ken's I mentioned above that we chuckled over was the one with the black rim in the lower left corner. Ken also did the two with the medallion in the middle. Beautiful! Another one that deserves special note is the other one with a colored rim. It started out larger but there was an - ahem - issue with the rim so it came off. Now it's a plate instead of a platter but the red dye on the rim made it exceptional. The fellow who turned it (not me) notched up his skills a LOT during this class. Actually, everyone did. I keep thinking of the great work I saw. Really unfair to single out one for kudos.
BTW - mine aren't there. We had to leave early due to a family committment. Pics on the way as soon as I can get finish on!

Last edited by Ted iin Michigan; 04-17-2017 at 08:48 PM.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads