Lucerne and dye. Not quite what I wanted.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob Wemm

Bob Wemm

This is my second attempt at dying wood.:confused: This time I chose a timber that would absorb the dye and not leave resin rings. BUT!! I am a slow learner, because I did some CA repairs on the piece before the first dye colour which was light green and of course the dye could not penetrate. Then a bit of sanding and several patches of green/black and the balance was red. The red dye was lightly and heavily applied at different spots.:biggrin::biggrin:
Next came the sealing and that is where the wheels started falling off. I have no idea what I did wrong but there has been three lots of finish applied and two sanded back.:eek: The final coat is spray on poly.
The bowl is 9 x 3in and will be a Bob & Betty owned piece.

C&C welcome and thanks for looking.

Bob.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 223
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 227
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 225
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

I don't have any kind of answer for what you could do better or different, but I feel your pain as far as what it is like when things don't come out the way you planned.

That said, i don't think the bowl is all that ugly (even though it was funny). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and we are most often our worst critic.

robutacion

Bob,

I can see exactly what you had in mind for this piece of wood, and I wonder what could have affected the sealing of the dye to the wood, if I would to guess, I would say some moisture that was still in the wood from all the dying but, I'm not 100% sure.

The principle and execution of the dying is perfect and certainly quite effective, as anything in life, we learn as we go and this piece can just be a great stepping stone in the technique.

The learning process in anyone's life, is greatly improved by dealing with the failures or things that, didn't come up as planned, life is not perfect so why would anything we do, has to be...???

I can see Betty's colour ability in that piece and while both of you, can feel a little disappointed with the "finish" side of it, is not the ends of the world, in fact, I would probably put it a side for a while, get over it and comeback some other day for another finish attempt, if it works good, if it doesn't don't worry, that guy in SA that supplied you that blank, as many more for you to play with, no "problemo"...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

David Keller

Looks like a nice form, but the coloring is a bit unusual. Multicolored pieces can be tough to pull off without the unsightly blending of colors in places. If it interests you, you could try burning lines onto the piece to divide areas... The pyro will keep the colors from blending into one another. Using the grain lines as guides for the burning can yield a really neat effect.

Bob Wemm

Thanks for your feedback and honesty. I do sort of like it, but because it didn't do what I hoped I feel a bit let down.
I'm certainly not going to scrap it. Probably put it aside for later on.!!

Bob.

Top Bottom