Looking for Cosmetic Brushes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sprung

Sprung

I've had a request from someone I know about making a set of cosmetic/makeup brushes. Having trouble finding brushes to use.

I've seen this one and this one.

However, I am looking more for a set of brushes, something along the lines of these.

I have given thought to harvesting the brushes from a commercially made set and making handles for them, but wanted to see if there were any options to buy just the brushes before I go that route. So far my couple hours of searching has come up with nothing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Aloha Matt,
I know nothing about make-up "things", but the Amazon listing suggests these are semi-disposable, to replace monthly. So you might want to consider that whatever set you make, it would be suited to replacing the brushes as if the brushes are inserts, rather than that you are making a high-end set of brushes, expecting the brush part to be long lasting. There is no inherent knowledge behind what I just posted...it is more "food for thought". :biggrin:

Sprung

Aloha Matt,
I know nothing about make-up "things", but the Amazon listing suggests these are semi-disposable, to replace monthly. So you might want to consider that whatever set you make, it would be suited to replacing the brushes as if the brushes are inserts, rather than that you are making a high-end set of brushes, expecting the brush part to be long lasting. There is no inherent knowledge behind what I just posted...it is more "food for thought". :biggrin:

Thanks, Steve - that is some good food for thought! I know nothing of implements to apply cosmetics, so the food for thought is good. And neither does my wife as she doesn't like to wear makeup and hardly does (and doesn't need to!), so she wasn't any help when I asked her about these things!

The person who has requested the set has requested Pink Ivory, and maybe a second set in some very purple Kingwood - woods he already has and would be supplying me with for this purpose. But, especially with such woods to be used, I have no desire to make this a disposable item. So, the replaceable brush head idea has a lot of merit.

alankulwicki7

I've bought brushes from Coastal Scents. They have similar heads to your first links but also brushes like the last one. You'd have to harvest the heads to get what your after but the brushes are really nice quality. Coastal Scents has a nice variety of natural and synthetic brushes and they do have 50% off sales a couple times a year.

Sprung

Thank you, Doug. Harvesting the heads really isn't an issue for me, so I will definitely check them out.

jttheclockman

Just a note on those woods you mentioned, they are prone to cracking. Be careful when buying and using. Dry is the key.

stonepecker

I would also watch out for any of the woods that would/could cause a reaction. Thinking of the person using them and what might happen. Would hate to see you go though and make them only to find out the person can't use them for some reason or other.
Be sure to post the final product for all of us to see.

Sprung

Just a note on those woods you mentioned, they are prone to cracking. Be careful when buying and using. Dry is the key.

I have worked with both before and know their unfortunate attitudes sometimes - you're right, dry is the key. However, I have also worked with this specific stock from this friend and it has never been a problem - it's been dry for 30+ years.

I would also watch out for any of the woods that would/could cause a reaction. Thinking of the person using them and what might happen. Would hate to see you go though and make them only to find out the person can't use them for some reason or other.
Be sure to post the final product for all of us to see.

Wayne, always good thinking on the reaction/potential allergy. I have a few species of wood I can't work with because of that. I've checked with him and he said they have items made with these woods that they use and haven't had any problems with reactions.
And, for certain, if this goes forward (which I suspect it will), I will definitely post the finished items!

Top Bottom