Longworth Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I have been procrastinating for a while in making myself a Longworth chuck. I finally got around to it today. I need to drill some finger holes and smooth it up a little but it works.

Relied on this link:

How To Make A Longworth Chuck - Ravenview

C70EF8AC-4709-4037-A195-F7B360ADC281.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Great work ! . Is it really necessary to make the adjustment slots curved, or could they be straight and along a radius ? . Probably a silly question once I get the answer !!!

PenPal

The Longworth Chuck was developed in Australia and many years ago we of the ACT Woodcraft Guild all got together and made many of these using a process line.

Next visit at the same mates house he demoed his ,he forgot to check the speed setting on the lathe it was set on flat out. The sound was like a buzz bomb used by the Germans over the UK WW2. He panicked and as it slowed down tried to stop it with his hand, direct result was it spun off the lathe ripped his shirt and busted his strernam.

My best thought was to ensure I used a grub screw method of locking the unit to the headstock for pure safety. Better used at slower speeds with so many reasons to maim and harm anyway they demand great care IMHO.

Kind regards Peter.

Nice chuck... just be careful with it as their hold is (In my opinion) less secure than a cole jaw set up. I made a Longworth a couple of years back and used it extensively, but always felt a little less secure... last time I used it, a 10" bowl came loose and careemed of my face....my error was not having a face shield on, but at 450 was just sanding and wanted nick a lttle bump off the bottom... evidently the scraper caught the bump and threw the bowl at me. I sported a black eye for a month.

I prefer a vacuum set up now or my cole jaw extensions with the head stock turned 45 degrees.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I made a Longworth when I was in Japan and found out fairly quick that my slowest speed of 650 RPM was a tad too fast. I used it once on an 11 inch bowl. It did OK but I was just scared that it would blow out or release. I used some quality 12mm ply to make it. It sure looked good.

LOML gave me aluminum Cole jaws for Christmas last year.

Top Bottom