A Little Whimsey....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Warren White

Warren White

My turning buddy came over last night to collaborate (read "have a little fun").

I had a branch of some kind and thought about turning a goblet. He wanted to turn a mushroom, so I cut the branch in half and we both turned mushrooms. Good thing, because the wood was really funky and it looked like mushrooms! It would have been the world's worst goblet.

Mine is pictured. It is 3" high. Fun evening with my mentor. Finish was sanding sealer and wax to keep it looking like a mushroom.

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ambidex

If I send you a large chunk of desert ironwood and a great picture of a morel mushroom would you carve a replica and send to me? :wink:

Warren White

Holy Moley!

I just looked at pictures of Morel Mushrooms. Now that would be a challenge that should only take two or three lifetimes!

Something that would be interesting to turn out of Banksia Pods.

Warren White

I just remembered....

....where I got the wood. It is from an Olive tree down the street. They were 'pruning' it (actually they should have cut it to the ground it is so ugly and out of control) and I asked for a branch.

I turned it using the pitch as the center and the color you see on the stem and on the top is natural.

Thank you for all of the comments! It was fun and if they ever prune it again, I will grab some more. Sure punky though!

Top Bottom