Lighter'd wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BeeAMaker

BeeAMaker

Or, Heart wood, fat lighter, lighter wood, rich lighter, pine knot, lighter knot, heart pine, Fatwood, or lighter'd

Anyone ever work with it? I gotta say, it's not fun. :frown:
The chips are sticky, the pine smell is strong, but it cuts great. Sanding however is expensive because I went through several sheets of paper. The pine sap clogs the paper faster than anything - Even with the Lathe off!

This is with no polish, I simply turned the lathe up high and let the heat from the rag draw out the sap, which became a natural polish. It has cool grain patterns in the areas that are still wood, but this is at least 60% sap.

I really like how the light will shine through the thinner part, I'm not good enough yet to hollow out the bottom, so I may alter it from here. Maybe turn it into a small bowl so I can get that effect over the entire piece.

I bagged all the shavings too - I'll use them for fire starter when I go camping in the spring!

lw1g.jpg

lw1h.jpg

lw1i.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

I do plenty of dangerous things, but you may be braver than me on this one. It is stunning and shows great artistry. I use the stuff to light my fireplace, a couple of seconds with a match and you have a fire, careful on this one.

BeeAMaker

I do plenty of dangerous things, but you may be braver than me on this one. It is stunning and shows great artistry. I use the stuff to light my fireplace, a couple of seconds with a match and you have a fire, careful on this one.

So I shouldn't use it to make tea light holders? :biggrin::tongue:

I'm wondering if there is something I can coat it with to make it less "volatile"

PatrickR

Very interesting. I was unaware of this type of pine. I do know that pine sap is the source of turpentine. I have some old barn wood that was described by an old timer is "pitch pine". It has some areas that are similar. Looks a little like amber. After all this time it is still fragrant and when heated the sap runs out of it.

BeeAMaker

This is a pencil blank I turned a while back, not realizing it was this same type of wood. After I turned it, I put it in the toaster oven to draw the sap out, then back on the lathe to polish it. as it cools it gets very hard and shinny.

sapwood.jpg

Top Bottom